Aug 2, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens and P.K. Subban weren’t able to come to an understanding before their arbitration hearing Friday morning. That’s water under the bridge now though as Montreal has announced that Subban has agreed to an eight-year extension.
The arbitrator hadn’t ruled on Subban’s case yet and that decision is now unnecessary. Subban’s eight-year agreement with Montreal will start with the 2014-15 campaign.
Montreal didn’t disclosed the financial terms of the contract, but its worth $72 million, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. That means Subban will have the third highest cap hit in 2014-15, behind only Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane will surpass all three of them with their matching $10.5 million cap hits, but their contracts won’t take effect until 2015-16.
This marks the end of a period of intense speculation and uncertainty surrounding the future of the 25-year-old defenseman. After missing the start of the shortened 2013 campaign as a restricted free agent, Subban agreed to a two-year, $5.75 million bridge contract. He went on to win the Norris Trophy in 2013 and finished the 2013-14 season with 10 goals and 53 points in 82 games.
He has made it clear that he wants to spend his career with the Canadiens, but immediately following his hearing, the prospects of him getting a long-term deal this summer looked bleak. Now his position as one of the cornerstone’s of this franchise going forward has been cemented.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
Philly erased an early 2-0 deficit to earn two points.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
Carolina is now 7-1-2 in January.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:45 PM EST
Both players are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Okposo missed his first game due to an upper body injury.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
Happened during the first period tonight in Philly.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The 19-year-old underwent hip surgery in November.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST
The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Jim Benning was “exploring” a trade for the goaltender.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Appeared in 1,260 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tampa has won both meetings between the two clubs this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EST
7:30 p.m. ET, from PNC Arena, on NBCSN.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EST
“There’s a potential even to bring him to Arizona for at least a cup of coffee at the end of the year.”
Jan 27, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
For the old barn in Anaheim.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
Goalie nods: Greiss starts for Pens, which has nothing to do with Fleury getting lit up at the All-Star Game
Jan 27, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)