Aug 2, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
It wasn’t too long ago that it looked like the Winnipeg Jets had a star forward they could build their franchise around in Evander Kane. He scored 30 goals and 57 points in 74 games in 2011-12 at the age of 20.
Unfortunately for the Jets, he struggled to live up to that standard last season and it got to the point where he spent time in the press box. On top of that, he’s been vague about whether or not he even wants to stay in Winnipeg. He hasn’t publicly demanded a trade, but when given the opportunity to reaffirm his commitment to the team, he’s instead fanned the flames of the trade rumors.
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has consequently been left to dodge questions about Kane’s future. At the end of the day though, should Cheveldayoff trade Kane?
Keep in mind that he comes with a $5.25 million cap hit through the 2017-18 campaign, which isn’t bad in the context of what he could bring to the table, but it adds another element of risk to acquiring him after his 2013-14 performance. That’s not to suggest that the Jets can’t trade the 23-year-old, but the return for him might be less than appealing.
Still, even if they don’t get what they feel is equal value for Kane, would it be worth it to trade him anyways just to close the door on this chapter of the Jets’ history and avoid the potential drama and distractions that might come from keeping him?
More Jets day coverage:
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 24
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54