Aug 2, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
It wasn’t too long ago that it looked like the Winnipeg Jets had a star forward they could build their franchise around in Evander Kane. He scored 30 goals and 57 points in 74 games in 2011-12 at the age of 20.
Unfortunately for the Jets, he struggled to live up to that standard last season and it got to the point where he spent time in the press box. On top of that, he’s been vague about whether or not he even wants to stay in Winnipeg. He hasn’t publicly demanded a trade, but when given the opportunity to reaffirm his commitment to the team, he’s instead fanned the flames of the trade rumors.
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has consequently been left to dodge questions about Kane’s future. At the end of the day though, should Cheveldayoff trade Kane?
Keep in mind that he comes with a $5.25 million cap hit through the 2017-18 campaign, which isn’t bad in the context of what he could bring to the table, but it adds another element of risk to acquiring him after his 2013-14 performance. That’s not to suggest that the Jets can’t trade the 23-year-old, but the return for him might be less than appealing.
Still, even if they don’t get what they feel is equal value for Kane, would it be worth it to trade him anyways just to close the door on this chapter of the Jets’ history and avoid the potential drama and distractions that might come from keeping him?
More Jets day coverage:
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)