Aug 2, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Patrick Maroon was able to firmly establish himself with Anaheim last season and now he’s reaping the rewards of his efforts. The Ducks announced that they have signed the 26-year-old forward to a three-year contract extension.
The financial terms weren’t disclosed by the team, but the deal is worth $6 million, according to Cap Geek. That’s a substantial raise over his two-year, $1.15 million contract that runs through the 2014-15 campaign. His new agreement will take effect once his old deal expires and will run through 2017-18.
Maroon was one of the top players in the AHL for years, but he still didn’t get many opportunities to prove his worth at the NHL level. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound forward finally got his big break during the lockout shortened season when he recorded three points and 10 penalty minutes in 13 games. In 2013-14, he had 11 goals, 18 assists, and 101 penalty minutes in 62 contests.
He managed to take another step forward during the 2014 postseason with two goals and seven points in 13 contests. The Ducks trusted him with an average of 3:15 power-play minutes per game in the playoffs, which was good for third place among Anaheim forwards, behind just Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 1
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 5
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)