Aug 2, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Patrick Maroon was able to firmly establish himself with Anaheim last season and now he’s reaping the rewards of his efforts. The Ducks announced that they have signed the 26-year-old forward to a three-year contract extension.
The financial terms weren’t disclosed by the team, but the deal is worth $6 million, according to Cap Geek. That’s a substantial raise over his two-year, $1.15 million contract that runs through the 2014-15 campaign. His new agreement will take effect once his old deal expires and will run through 2017-18.
Maroon was one of the top players in the AHL for years, but he still didn’t get many opportunities to prove his worth at the NHL level. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound forward finally got his big break during the lockout shortened season when he recorded three points and 10 penalty minutes in 13 games. In 2013-14, he had 11 goals, 18 assists, and 101 penalty minutes in 62 contests.
He managed to take another step forward during the 2014 postseason with two goals and seven points in 13 contests. The Ducks trusted him with an average of 3:15 power-play minutes per game in the playoffs, which was good for third place among Anaheim forwards, behind just Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)