Aug 2, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Patrick Maroon was able to firmly establish himself with Anaheim last season and now he’s reaping the rewards of his efforts. The Ducks announced that they have signed the 26-year-old forward to a three-year contract extension.
The financial terms weren’t disclosed by the team, but the deal is worth $6 million, according to Cap Geek. That’s a substantial raise over his two-year, $1.15 million contract that runs through the 2014-15 campaign. His new agreement will take effect once his old deal expires and will run through 2017-18.
Maroon was one of the top players in the AHL for years, but he still didn’t get many opportunities to prove his worth at the NHL level. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound forward finally got his big break during the lockout shortened season when he recorded three points and 10 penalty minutes in 13 games. In 2013-14, he had 11 goals, 18 assists, and 101 penalty minutes in 62 contests.
He managed to take another step forward during the 2014 postseason with two goals and seven points in 13 contests. The Ducks trusted him with an average of 3:15 power-play minutes per game in the playoffs, which was good for third place among Anaheim forwards, behind just Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)