Aug 2, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
We’re into August now, so naturally most of the unrestricted free agents that will get contracts this summer have already been signed. There are still players out there looking for work though, including former Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette.
That might change soon though as the Washington Capitals and four to five other teams are interested in him, according to Bissonnette’s agent, Mark Guy, per the Washington Post.
Bissonnette was something of a fan favorite with the Coyotes and is one of the most popular NHL players on Twitter. At the same time, the Coyotes used Bissonnette sparingly during his tenure and now that he’s a free agent, he’s hoping to find a team that might have him play regularly.
“He wants to be in a position where he can compete for a solid fourth-line position and be a great team guy,” Guy said. “He wants to be in an organization where there’s a chance to win, as most guys do, and looking forward to showing how hard he’s worked to improve his skill level and skating over the last couple years.”
The 29-year-old forward is never going to be a major scoring threat, but he wants to be seen as more than just a fighter. He’s already started to move in that direction as he only dropped the gloves three times last season.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 1
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 10
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)