Aug 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
P.K. Subban has completed the “educational” process of going through a salary arbitration hearing. He will now have to wait up to 48 hours to find out what his contract with the Montreal Canadiens for the 2014-15 campaign will be worth.
Montreal and the 25-year-old defenseman can still negotiate and sign a long-term contract until the arbitrator announces her decision, but Subban’s agent, Don Meehan, said there are no plans to do so, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston and CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
“We have to live with those decisions,” Subban said, referring to the arbitrator’s upcoming ruling.
Subban reportedly requested a $8.5 million salary while the Canadiens countered with $5.25 million. The arbitrator is free to value him at any amount between those two figures.
Since signing a two-year, two-year, $5.75 million contract, Subban has won the Norris Trophy in 2013 and recorded 53 points in 82 games in 2013-14.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin declined to comment after the hearing.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)