Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
For the first time since the 2007-08 season, Shawn Thornton will play for a team other than the Boston Bruins. It might be hard to believe considering his new team’s lack of playoff success, but Thornton told NHL.com that signing with the Florida Panthers is actually a meaningful move for the enforcer.
“Florida was my first choice. I like where the team is going,” Thornton said. “I obviously know [Panthers GM Dale Tallon] from Chicago. I love the area. I’ve already been down a couple of times checking it out with the wife. We’re really, really excited to be a part of it.”
It almost sounds like a reunion for both player and GM, in some ways. One could argue that both Tallon and Thornton are seeing their careers wind down at the same time, although the pugnacious player provides the most obvious example with what might be his final NHL contract.
“A long time ago we started off together,” Tallon said. “I signed him to his first contract. He can play it any way you want. He’ll surprise you with his skills and he’ll score some highlight-film goals, but he knows his role. His fitness level is incredible, his nutrition. He’ll really be a great leader in our locker room for our young guys. He’ll show them the way. He and Derek (MacKenzie) will really make a good tandem. It’ll be hard to play against. It’s a fourth line that will play with a lot of energy and enthusiasm and toughness.”
The 37-year-old seems pretty confident about his versatility, while others wonder if he’s part of a dying breed. We’ll find out soon enough, but if nothing else, it sounds like Thornton is happy to join the Panthers.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)