Aug 1, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
You knew it wouldn’t take long, but the Anaheim Ducks are going to retire Teemu Selanne’s number.
The Ducks announced they’ll be lifting his No. 8 into the rafters on January 11, 2015 when they host the Winnipeg Jets. In 15 seasons with the Ducks, the “Finnish Flash” piled up 457 of his 684 career goals and had 988 points with Anaheim alone. He is, without a doubt, the franchise’s greatest player and the face of the Ducks franchise. He was a member of the 2007 Ducks team that won the Stanley Cup.
While retiring his number was never in doubt, there’s the possibility Selanne will have a something else on his schedule that night. Jokerit of the KHL, who has been wooing Selanne to play one more year in Finland, has a game against CSKA Moscow on January 11.
It’d be a bit of a downer to have a number retirement ceremony without the guest of honor, no? Selanne hasn’t made a decision whether he’ll play in Finland next season, but for the time being it looks like he’ll be in Southern California come January.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)