Whatever teams are offering, Jeff Halpern will ‘take less’

Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

“My views on free agency now, personally, are completely different. I basically wait for a phone call and then if somebody says we have a contract, I say, ‘Whatever your offer is, I’ll take less.'”

That was unrestricted free agent Jeff Halpern, to the Arizona Republic, comparing his experiences as a 38-year-old without a contract to when he was younger and more in demand as an NHL forward.

Halpern played 69 games for the Coyotes in 2013-14, scoring five goals with seven assists while on a two-way contract worth just $600,000 in the NHL.

He doesn’t want to retire, though; hence, his willingness to “do anything possible” to keep playing in the best league in the world.

1. 19to77 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Ha. “Just” six hundred grand. Didn’t know you’d become such a high-roller, Brough. What’s sports blogging paying these days?

• Jason Brough - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Well, it’s all relative. I only make, like, three quarters of that. Though that’s not counting the house in West Palm Beach and a country club membership.

• pjblake2redwings - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

what an douchebag comment

• 19to77 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Well, at least one person understands sarcasm on these boards. West Palm Beach? And here was me expecting Kitsilano.

• ibieiniid - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Wait, your job gave you a house? Say, you guys don’t need any torsional stiffness calculations done on any hockey sticks over there at PHT do you? No matter, sending my résumé now. (look, I accented that right. make sure you point out to your bosses that I accented that right…)

2. esracerx46 - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Perhaps he went to the Peter Griffin school of school of haggling?

3. bsaures - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I wouldnt mind montreal throwing a two way deal at him good faceoff guy and never hurts to have a extra forward who can come up

• c9castine - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:51 PM

i dont think he can be signed to a two way deal…

• bsaures - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Anyone can be signed to a two way deal all it means is that they get paid less in the ahl

4. jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I cant think of a cheaper way to add veteran depth. the fact he will take the league minimum at this point just to play instead of retire, tells me he’s playing for the right reason and would be welcomed in any locker room. not to mention he could help in the face off department on most teams.

5. lowenni - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I met Halpern at the Sweetlife Festival in Virginia (he owns a donut shop that had a car there). I told him I loved him with the Caps and asked if he was playing next year and he told me he was gonna do whatever he could to get back in the league. Best of luck to him.

6. nicofthenorthstar - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Classic example of what makes our sport so great. Not only does a guy have the option to keep plugging away and maybe earn a roster spot as he approaches the 40 year mark (or occasionally exceeds that mark); but the sport inspires the passion and desire to keep doing so even if it means taking a big pay cut.
    Ego and bank account be damned! I just wanna lace up the skates one more time!

• jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

effing right.

7. bodallasss - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Introducing the new #1 center for YOUR EDMONTON OILERS. JEFFFF “THE ALBERTA AVENGER” HALPERN

8. tross16 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I hope the guy gets a shot somewhere he’s a great guy I’ve know him for a few years and I’ve skated with the guys I’d like to see him get a shot with the sik and maybe lead the way as a good 4th Line leader

9. withseidelinn - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Solid attitude. This is a prime of example of how a guy loves the game over the money that comes with it. That sort of mindset alone in a dressing room could be beneficial.

10. howintensive - Aug 1, 2014 at 4:21 AM

Oh yeah? I will take 1/5 league minimum for 2 years, plus the amount of money needed for me to break my lease. I’m a right handed defensman…

Top 10 NHL Player Searches