Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The good news for Carey Price is that he hasn’t — and won’t — require surgery on his hyperextended knee.
The bad news, however, is that he’s going to be off ice for a while longer.
“I was lucky and unlucky at the same time,” Price said of his season-ending injury, per the Tri-City Herald. “If my leg was two inches shorter at the post I wouldn’t have been hurt at all. If it were two inches the other way, I probably would have had to have reconstructive knee surgery.
“I’m doing OK now. I won’t be skating again until the middle to August so that will be the true test. Right now it feels pretty good.”
Hurt in a collision with Chris Kreider during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final against New York, Price took a number of light practice sessions while Dustin Tokarski manned the net, in the hope of making some kind of comeback. There was talk of Price possibly returning to tend goal should Montreal make the Stanley Cup Final but, after being dumped in six games by the Rangers, Montreal’s focus turned to getting its star netminder healthy for next season.
Looking ahead, the real question will be if Price can get enough rehab/skating in prior to the start of Montreal’s training camp. He’s looking at about 2-3 weeks of activity to get into shape, so it’s possible he could be held out of early exhibition contests, just to make sure the knee has healed properly.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)