Price (knee) won’t start skating ’til mid-August

Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Carey Price AP

The good news for Carey Price is that he hasn’t — and won’t — require surgery on his hyperextended knee.

The bad news, however, is that he’s going to be off ice for a while longer.

“I was lucky and unlucky at the same time,” Price said of his season-ending injury, per the Tri-City Herald. “If my leg was two inches shorter at the post I wouldn’t have been hurt at all. If it were two inches the other way, I probably would have had to have reconstructive knee surgery.

“I’m doing OK now. I won’t be skating again until the middle to August so that will be the true test. Right now it feels pretty good.”

Hurt in a collision with Chris Kreider during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final against New York, Price took a number of light practice sessions while Dustin Tokarski manned the net, in the hope of making some kind of comeback. There was talk of Price possibly returning to tend goal should Montreal make the Stanley Cup Final but, after being dumped in six games by the Rangers, Montreal’s focus turned to getting its star netminder healthy for next season.

Looking ahead, the real question will be if Price can get enough rehab/skating in prior to the start of Montreal’s training camp. He’s looking at about 2-3 weeks of activity to get into shape, so it’s possible he could be held out of early exhibition contests, just to make sure the knee has healed properly.

1. bsaures - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

First off it was 6 games not 5 and taking the rangers to 6 games with their AHL goalie who hadnt played a game for over a month prior is hardly dumping

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Most days I honestly believe anyone who passed high-school English, watches the odd hockey game, and owns a computer could do this job.

• Mike Halford - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:42 AM

It was an honest goof, but a goof nonetheless. Comment seems a bit harsh but whatever. Fixed.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Emblematic of the care that goes into a lot of articles around here. Double-checking these things on Wikipedia isn’t so difficult.

• jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:35 PM

because your day is ruined by an error in an article that would have otherwise generated maybe 2 comments? you come off glaringly envious of mr halford’s occupational position when you drag it out or chime in

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Holy straw man Batman. I’m a big Price fan…came here because I wanted to know what’s up. Not sure what the potential number of comments has to do with anything.

But this is something I notice around here…easily avoidable mistakes made for no reason but carelessness. If I include numbers in a comment, or verifiable facts in any of my writing I take the extra twenty seconds and run them through Google or Wiki. So it kinda blows my mind when people getting paid to write summaries of news snippets can’t be bothered to do something similar.

2. raleighcaniac - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM

No matter how you slice it he is not training right now like he normally would be, nor has he been. Chances are that he will not be ready to play like he would have if he had been healthy since his season ended. Thats a blow to the Habs.

• bsaures - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:57 AM

As long as it isnt more than 20 games the habs will be fine. With tokarski, budaj, and macdonald they have enough there to keep competitive. He wont be brought back until he is 100 percent and fullly up to condition

• cweez2 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM

They have a fair stable of goalies behind them and they’ve strengthened their D a bit.

3. thailer35 - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:53 AM

To defend Halford, he and Brough are pretty solid writers who do a great job here and I thoroughly enjoy reading their work. O’Brien on the other hand, I’m not sure that guy has ever gotten an article 100% right.

• thesportsjudge - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

4. billiam55 - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:28 PM

def up there in top goalies in the NHL. its just to bad he missed the playoffs. i still feel montreal would have lost regardless if he was in net. kudos to tokarski. kid played like a champ.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive