Malcolm Subban was ‘cheering for P.K.’ in Habs-Bruins series

Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

From Joey Alfieri of TSN 690 radio in Montreal:

The kicker here is that Malcolm Subban is a member of the Boston Bruins organization. The 20-year-old goalie was drafted by the B’s in 2012.

And if you haven’t heard, the Bruins and Canadiens have a bit of a rivalry, with P.K. Subban being a major figure of that rivalry in the present day.

Now, it should be noted that Malcolm Subban only said he was “cheering for P.K.” He didn’t, we don’t think, say he was screaming “Go Habs Go!” and singing “Olé, Olé, Olé” at the top of his voice.

Besides, Subban grew up in Toronto. He’s probably a Leafs fan, like his mom.

1. antkowiak666 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Should be some interesting comments here in about 1…2…3….

2. terrier92 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I’m a Bruins fan and fine with this. It’s his brother for goodness sake. BTW Malcom seems like a good kid

• elrock7 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM

If Malcolm ever makes it as an NHL starter, which is highly debatable, I wonder if he will still root for him when they face each other.

3. ibieiniid - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:58 PM

as a goalie not yet ON the Bruins, doesn’t this make sense? if his brother does his thing, one of the guys ahead of Malcolm on the depth chart looks worse (granted, it’s Rask, and he isn’t at all at risk of losing his job to Malcolm) and makes Malcolm look better. Malcolm gets nothing out of the Bruins winning games at this point… I don’t blame him for rooting blood.

4. greej1938l - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Ummm. Duh

5. phtjoey - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Exactly….. as the author writes he wasn’t cheering for the Habs. Cheering for PK is very different than cheering for the Habs. Good bro….

6. jasminedonut - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Clearly the Subbans are all punks, on’s asking for 9million in salary, I am sure this one is going to be asking for a trade to play with his brother. When you’re part of an organization, you should only be rooting for your organizational brothers. When Eric Staal almost ended Marc’s career with a high, dirty hit to the head I was happy, that is how it should be. Take no prisoners. Great 2 Subban punks.

• hockey412 - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:16 PM

….just….wwwwwwow….

• patthehockeyfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I remember your name jasminedonut from back in January when you insulted Americans, calling them loud, dumb people, in comments to an Olympic story. As a reminder, the link is below.

I’ll repeat here what I wrote then: If this site would allow it, I would tell you in simpler terms (that you might be able to understand) to go ahead and do something to yourself that is anatomically impossible.

Go and crawl back under that bridge from whence you came.

• 7mantel - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Way to go Pat !!!

• pjblake2redwings - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM

you were happy when one Staal almost ended his brothers career.. really classy bud.

• nyrnashty - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I gave you a thumbs up!

• govtminion - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:40 PM

What color IS the sky on your silly little world, anyway?

• phtjoey - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM

It’s not fair to qualify all Americans as being loud. However, there are indications that many Americans are indeed loud. Is it arrogance? I don’t know….

Cafe in Irish tourist town bans loud Americans

You’re likely to run into a bunch of loud Americans when you travel regardless of where you travel to or the activity you partake in. That’s just the way it is, and that’s fine.

• ibieiniid - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:49 PM

No question about it: NASCAR, Metallica, and Bill O’Reilly have ruined this country’s eardrums. We can’t hear ourselves speak…. that’s why fans of NASCAR, Metallica, and Bill O’Reilly say the things they say.

• jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM

what’s wrong with o’reilly? he doesn’t pick sides really….he’s probably the only guy on foxnews that’s non partisan. you aren’t mad about what he said about beyonce are you?

• ibieiniid - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM

lol wut

No, not a Beyonce fan. he’s just a man who uses his loudness to argue over others and his viewers are great at emulating him.

• jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM

the left ripped him apart because he said beyonce was a bad role model for black girls. he does yell, which is awesome in my opinion, nobody else on tv can get away with some of the stuff he does. oreilly vs geraldo….always good tv

• skr213 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Leave the politics to another site. You sound stupid and this is a friggin hockey site.

• avscup - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Jasmine, what does it feel like to be a living brain donor? Does it hurt?

7. bsaures - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Hmm do I cheer for my brother who has helped me get where I am in my career orrrrrrrrrrrr the team that drafted me but likely will never start for whos fans made some very rascist remarks about said brother hmmmmmmm tough one

• govtminion - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM

We’re still going on about the ‘Bruins fans are racists’ thing? Even after the whole thing got debunked repeatedly?

• thesportsjudge - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Leave “b” alone. They cling to their memories of Cups from decades ago.

8. nyrnashty - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I’m sure this is going to be a big deal when Rask retires 12 years from now :)

• jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:43 PM

yeah really. who cares about a backup goalie they will probably be forced to trade in 2 or 3 years anyway right?

• nyrnashty - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Yeah, he’s just as important as Martin Jones (Quicks backup) lol, he’s basically a fan that gets paid and will be able to play in a few games if he’s lucky.

9. djshnooks - Jul 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Like I said, Canadian people…ugh.

10. opattytheirishrover - Jul 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Ib and pat, you two bend my ear like no others. I love it

• patthehockeyfan - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM

:) ibieiniid is one of my favorites, too.

• ibieiniid - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or don’t know what “bend my ear” means. Was my 4-line post too long for you? More so than the ‘tabloidy’ story that was reported probably just to stir up some sh** between the teams’ fans? (nothing against Brough… it’s offseason, I get it)

11. pastabelly - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I never understood why the Bruins used a number one pick on Subban when they had Rask. I wonder if he’ll get dealt at some point. As far as rooting for his brother goes, that’s a non-issue.

• jpelle82 - Jul 31, 2014 at 3:46 PM

he has to, if he plays well as a backup he will just be auditioning for another team. unless something catastrophic happens to rask…

12. opattytheirishrover - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

No sarcasm friend, I enjoy reading your posts. And no, 4 lines weren’t too much. Keep it coming my good friend!

“Bend my ear”- have my attention.

13. obamareallysucks - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:16 AM

He is a dumb black racist.

• govtminion - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Charming. Thanks for sharing.

• skr213 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Ohhh, bringing out the race card. De classay.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1312)
  2. S. Crosby (1231)
  3. P. Rinne (1142)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1141)
  5. B. Schenn (1084)