Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
A lot of you are probably getting tired of reading stories about hockey and so-called “advanced statistics.” But remember that how you perform when you’re tired is when you really find out what you’re made of, so here’s another story. Push yourself!
From the Dallas Morning News, on the Stars’ efforts to effectively analyze data under general manager Jim Nill:
Nill and his staff now use a computer program that does the work of at least 100 college students: it measures Corsi, giveaways/takeaways, scoring chances and a host of other stats. After each game, the coaching staff reviews the numbers then goes back to the film and tracks its own stats to look for any discrepancies.
At this point, most fans just want to know that their favorite team has entered the data age and isn’t relying solely on eyeballs to make player-personnel decisions. No, stats aren’t everything in hockey. But in 2014, they’ve grown to become something. And 10 years from now, they’ll be even more something. So you’d better keep up.
Besides, as Nill says, it’s “a lot easier to make a decision” when you have numbers to back it up.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)