Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Just about any team that comes reasonably close to a playoff spot probably ponders a few “What if?” questions, but one could understand how the New Jersey Devils feel about their 0-13 shootout record from last season.
If you believe that the “skills competition” is a lot like a coin toss, the Devils probably wonder how different things might have been had they merely won six or seven extra points. After all, no 2013-14 playoff team won fewer than three shootouts and none lost more than nine.
(In fact, Puck Daddy points out that the Devils became the first team to lay a goose egg in the shootout over a full season.)
For some, that would be a matter of concern, but Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told the Bergen Record that he’s more concerned about what happens before a shootout takes place.
“I look at how we play during the 60 minutes because that’s what you have control of,” Lamoriello said. “The shootout is an individual thing and if you look at the history of the players who were on our roster last year and the sort of history of their success you would say, ‘How did this come about?’ But in saying that, it’s not a focus.”
Instead, the long-standing executive emphasized adding offense during the summer; he seems excited about acquiring Mike Cammalleri and intrigued about what Martin Havlat might accomplish if he’s healthy. Lamoriello also seems to think that the team can benefit from better luck with players who were already on the roster, whether it be improving young players or healthier campaigns for the likes of Ryane Clowe.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)