Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
The Red Wings have hired a couple of new coaches — Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer — to work under bench boss Mike Babcock.
From the club’s press release:
Hiller, 45, joins the organization after 11 years in the Western Hockey League and British Columbia Hockey League, most recently as head coach of the WHL’s Tri-City Americans from 2009-14. In 360 regular-season games behind the Americans bench, Hiller compiled a 210-124-11-15 record, helping the team to four playoff berths, two U.S. Division titles and an appearance in the WHL Finals in 2010. In 2011-12, Hiller was honored as the WHL’s Coach of the Year and won the Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award as the top coach in the Canadian Hockey League after leading Tri-City to a 50-18-2-2 record.
Brewer joins the Red Wings after spending three years with Hockey Canada, serving as the organization’s video coach for various international events, most recently working with Mike Babcock for Canada’s gold-medal team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The Red Wings had already hired Tony Granato as an assistant coach — a move that filled half the hole left by the departures of Bill Peters (Carolina’s new head coach) and Tom Renney (the new president of Hockey Canada). Detroit also lost its video coordinator, Keith McKittrick, who left Motown to become an assistant coach with WHL Portland.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)