Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
The Red Wings have hired a couple of new coaches — Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer — to work under bench boss Mike Babcock.
From the club’s press release:
Hiller, 45, joins the organization after 11 years in the Western Hockey League and British Columbia Hockey League, most recently as head coach of the WHL’s Tri-City Americans from 2009-14. In 360 regular-season games behind the Americans bench, Hiller compiled a 210-124-11-15 record, helping the team to four playoff berths, two U.S. Division titles and an appearance in the WHL Finals in 2010. In 2011-12, Hiller was honored as the WHL’s Coach of the Year and won the Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award as the top coach in the Canadian Hockey League after leading Tri-City to a 50-18-2-2 record.
Brewer joins the Red Wings after spending three years with Hockey Canada, serving as the organization’s video coach for various international events, most recently working with Mike Babcock for Canada’s gold-medal team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The Red Wings had already hired Tony Granato as an assistant coach — a move that filled half the hole left by the departures of Bill Peters (Carolina’s new head coach) and Tom Renney (the new president of Hockey Canada). Detroit also lost its video coordinator, Keith McKittrick, who left Motown to become an assistant coach with WHL Portland.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)