Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
The Red Wings have hired a couple of new coaches — Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer — to work under bench boss Mike Babcock.
From the club’s press release:
Hiller, 45, joins the organization after 11 years in the Western Hockey League and British Columbia Hockey League, most recently as head coach of the WHL’s Tri-City Americans from 2009-14. In 360 regular-season games behind the Americans bench, Hiller compiled a 210-124-11-15 record, helping the team to four playoff berths, two U.S. Division titles and an appearance in the WHL Finals in 2010. In 2011-12, Hiller was honored as the WHL’s Coach of the Year and won the Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award as the top coach in the Canadian Hockey League after leading Tri-City to a 50-18-2-2 record.
Brewer joins the Red Wings after spending three years with Hockey Canada, serving as the organization’s video coach for various international events, most recently working with Mike Babcock for Canada’s gold-medal team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The Red Wings had already hired Tony Granato as an assistant coach — a move that filled half the hole left by the departures of Bill Peters (Carolina’s new head coach) and Tom Renney (the new president of Hockey Canada). Detroit also lost its video coordinator, Keith McKittrick, who left Motown to become an assistant coach with WHL Portland.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)