Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
The Red Wings have hired a couple of new coaches — Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer — to work under bench boss Mike Babcock.
From the club’s press release:
Hiller, 45, joins the organization after 11 years in the Western Hockey League and British Columbia Hockey League, most recently as head coach of the WHL’s Tri-City Americans from 2009-14. In 360 regular-season games behind the Americans bench, Hiller compiled a 210-124-11-15 record, helping the team to four playoff berths, two U.S. Division titles and an appearance in the WHL Finals in 2010. In 2011-12, Hiller was honored as the WHL’s Coach of the Year and won the Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award as the top coach in the Canadian Hockey League after leading Tri-City to a 50-18-2-2 record.
Brewer joins the Red Wings after spending three years with Hockey Canada, serving as the organization’s video coach for various international events, most recently working with Mike Babcock for Canada’s gold-medal team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The Red Wings had already hired Tony Granato as an assistant coach — a move that filled half the hole left by the departures of Bill Peters (Carolina’s new head coach) and Tom Renney (the new president of Hockey Canada). Detroit also lost its video coordinator, Keith McKittrick, who left Motown to become an assistant coach with WHL Portland.
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 2
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16