Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
To hear Dave Nonis explain it, there won’t be any problems reaching a deal with William Nylander, the club’s first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
“We’re moving along on that,” the Leafs GM said, per the Toronto Star. “There’s no hiccups.”
Nylander, 18, is in a pretty curious position. He wowed onlookers at a July prospects camp, prompting Nonis to said Nylander “might be the most skilled player” taken at the draft. While undersized and still very young, he’s got NHL aspirations for this fall — having spent last season playing against men (and with his father, ex-NHLer Michael) in the Swedish league, Nylander is reportedly expected to skip Sweden’s under-20 training camp in September to focus on making the Leafs.
Which is why he needs that entry-level deal.
Whether or not Nylander makes the Leafs remains to be seen, however. They’ve stockpiled veteran forwards over the last few weeks, agreeing to terms with Mike Santorelli, David Booth and, most recently, Daniel Winnik. Combined with earlier acquisitions (Leo Komarov, Petri Kontiola, Matt Frattin), Toronto currently has 17 forwards on NHL contracts, which definitely lessened Nylander’s chances of making the big team.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)