Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
To hear Dave Nonis explain it, there won’t be any problems reaching a deal with William Nylander, the club’s first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
“We’re moving along on that,” the Leafs GM said, per the Toronto Star. “There’s no hiccups.”
Nylander, 18, is in a pretty curious position. He wowed onlookers at a July prospects camp, prompting Nonis to said Nylander “might be the most skilled player” taken at the draft. While undersized and still very young, he’s got NHL aspirations for this fall — having spent last season playing against men (and with his father, ex-NHLer Michael) in the Swedish league, Nylander is reportedly expected to skip Sweden’s under-20 training camp in September to focus on making the Leafs.
Which is why he needs that entry-level deal.
Whether or not Nylander makes the Leafs remains to be seen, however. They’ve stockpiled veteran forwards over the last few weeks, agreeing to terms with Mike Santorelli, David Booth and, most recently, Daniel Winnik. Combined with earlier acquisitions (Leo Komarov, Petri Kontiola, Matt Frattin), Toronto currently has 17 forwards on NHL contracts, which definitely lessened Nylander’s chances of making the big team.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (145)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)