Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Former Bruins d-man Jon Rohloff is the latest to file a concussion lawsuit against the NHL, per the New York Times.
Rohloff, a defenseman for the Boston Bruins from 1994 to 1997, is the lone named plaintiff in the suit, which was filed in United States District Court in Minnesota. The suit says that the league concealed the dangers of concussion and did not pass rules designed to reduce the risk of brain injury until recent seasons. N.H.L. representatives did not respond to a request for comment late Tuesday afternoon.
After a similar suit was filed in April, Bill Daly, the deputy commissioner, said, “We are completely satisfied with our record on player safety, including as it relates to head injuries and brain trauma.”
This is the fourth concussion-related suit the NHL’s been hit with. The first came in November of 2013, when a group of 10 ex-players filed in a federal court in Washington. The second was filed in April — one that included former NHLers Dan LaCouture, Dan Keczmer and Mike Peluso, but one that also lost credibility by claiming NHL legend Gordie Howe died in 2009 from a neurodegenerative disease called Pick’s disease.
(Howe is still alive. It was his wife, Colleen, who died of the disease.)
The third suit was also filed in April, in Minneapolis, by retired players Dave Christian, Reed Larson and William Bennett.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
Our running list of all the deals leading up to 3 p.m. ET on Monday, Mar. 2… Monday, Mar. 2 To Montreal: Jeff Petry To Edmonton: 2nd-round pick (’15), 5th-round pick (conditional, ’15) (link) To Tampa Bay: Braydon Coburn To Philly: Radko Gudas, 1st-round pick (’15), 3rd-round pick (’15) (link) To Boston: Brett Connolly To…
Mar 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
They’ll play against Carolina Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:24 AM EST
Montreal strikes first on deadline day.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 AM EST
Marleau and Thornton haven’t been approached about their no-trade clauses.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:55 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:15 AM EST
It’s a first round and third round selection heading to Philly.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:50 AM EST
Tampa gets a pair of second-rounders.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:20 AM EST
Elliott and Allen saw action Sunday night.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Dallas’ skid reaches six games.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
Winnipeg moves three points back of Chicago in the Central Division.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
Malkin had a third straight three-point game.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EST
He collided with Ales Hemsky.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
The Washington forward remains in the game.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The Sharks get a fourth-round pick.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Both teams also swapped draft picks in the deal.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
Dallas looking to snap a five game skid.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:06 PM EST
He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Both are free agents after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 PM EST
It started with a Matt Greene hit on Mark Scheifele.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
The Pens’ captain was unharmed on the play.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 10
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (150)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)