Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’

Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

The list of people Brad Marchand has beef with — and vice versa — is a long one, and you can now add Tomas Plekanec to it.

From CSNNE.com:

During the 2014 Phoenix House Champs for Change dinner in Halifax, Marchand was asked by AHL President Dave Andrews during a panel discussion which NHL player irritates him the most. Surely it’s a long list with an agitator like Marchand, but there wasn’t much hesitation in his answer.

“There are a few guys out there that really irritate,” said Marchand, who it should be noted has authored his own adventures in embellishment over the years. “Tomas Plekanec from Montreal…I hate him. I can’t stand him. No, I probably shouldn’t say that. I dislike him very much.

“Now somebody is going to call and get mad at me tomorrow.”

Here’s video of Marchand’s comments:

It’s unclear exactly what Plekanec did to draw Marchand’s ire. While the Boston-Montreal rivalry is heated and runs deep, there doesn’t seem to be any one particular incident between the two.

That said, there was this:

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT

pens_flyers Getty Images

Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.

2. WATCH LIVE: Avalanche at Sharks

Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT

Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.

3. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

4. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

5. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

6. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

7. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

8. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

9. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

10. Hammond, Hudler, and Dubnyk are NHL’s three stars of the month

Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?

11. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches