Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’

Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

The list of people Brad Marchand has beef with — and vice versa — is a long one, and you can now add Tomas Plekanec to it.

From CSNNE.com:

During the 2014 Phoenix House Champs for Change dinner in Halifax, Marchand was asked by AHL President Dave Andrews during a panel discussion which NHL player irritates him the most. Surely it’s a long list with an agitator like Marchand, but there wasn’t much hesitation in his answer.

“There are a few guys out there that really irritate,” said Marchand, who it should be noted has authored his own adventures in embellishment over the years. “Tomas Plekanec from Montreal…I hate him. I can’t stand him. No, I probably shouldn’t say that. I dislike him very much.

“Now somebody is going to call and get mad at me tomorrow.”

Here’s video of Marchand’s comments:

It’s unclear exactly what Plekanec did to draw Marchand’s ire. While the Boston-Montreal rivalry is heated and runs deep, there doesn’t seem to be any one particular incident between the two.

That said, there was this:

1. patthehockeyfan - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM

The list of people Marchand hates is infinitesimal to the list of people who hate Marchand.

• patthehockeyfan - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM

infinitesimal *compared to
      (crap!)

2. upyourstodd - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Oh Brad

3. terrier92 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM

All Bruins including Marchand would be best served by treating Habs as just another team. Their disdain for them is getting in the way of beating them when it counts. Sorry boys no excuse for last season you blew it. JUST FYI I too hate the Habs but this team needs to learn to just beat them on scoreboard and not get involved in the drama-fest that this rivalry has evolved into.

• jdlinder11 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I think the Bruins generally get a little too emotional in games. It seems like whenever another team lays a big hit against a Bruin, the whole team gets into some sort of feeding frenzy, obsessing over getting even, many times at the cost of receiving a penalty.

I feel it traces back to their coach. Claude needs to chill out himself and set the tone for his team. I think the Bruins would be much improved if that were to happen.

• leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Agreed, it’s a sign of poor coaching. It’s fine to teach an aggressive, physical style, but when it affects your team to the extent that everyone takes it personally when the other team hits back and suddenly your guys are more concerned with turning it into a boxing match than a hockey game, you’ve got a problem on your hands. Julien is a great coach in a lot of areas, but his insistence on being the “tough guys” and then whining incessantly after games about how clean they are and how dirty everyone else is becomes a huge distraction to the team.

One of the biggest reasons the Habs were able to win that series is because they hit back, and it’s ironic because they aren’t even all that physical. But they ARE extremely annoying, and the Bruins didn’t have the mental fortitude to ignore it and concentrate on winning the series.

• yette1 - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Its pretty comical to read the opinion that one of the biggest reasons for the Canadiens victory was they hit the Bruins back. That was not the series I watched. While I agree with the commentary that the Bruins get off their game and are too emotional at times, especially against the Canadiens, to suggest the Habs were physical or confronted the Bruins is hilarious. They are a team full of divers and floppers. Why do you think Lucic told some dope he was going to pay? The Canadiens won because their power play was effective, plain and simple. Even strength, the Bs won the series.

• tdrusher225 - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m sick and tired of all this crap, it’d be nice if we could just stick to the hockey from now on. But that’s probably asking too much.

• pepper2011 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I agree and I also disagree. There is a time and place for it – not the playoffs.

The Canadiens play such a slimy style of play, and they have for years.

The Diving is really bad.

I know, I know; every team does it, but not like they do. What ends up happening is The Habs end up getting some BS calls, and other teams (B’s included) will try the same crap to draw calls.

Funny thing is; I think the Habs didn’t really do it – at least not egregiously last year (playoffs) for the first couple games of the series anyway- they seemed hell bent on ‘gaining respect’, but the Bruins still got frustrated and too emotional; almost like they were waiting.

• bsaures - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If by slimy you mean not trying to end players careers, trying to fight players who hit you clean but then puss out when someone your own size tries to fight you, squirt players with water from the bench while they are making a play, spear people in the nuts on several occasions. I will take slimy over whatever you call all the dirty stuff the bruins have done over the years.

• pepper2011 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

LOL. Slime city.

trying to end players careers? you mean Like Rocket Richard actually did?

trying to fight players who hit you clean but then puss out when someone your own size tries to fight you? What are you talking about?

I love you you are so bent out of shape of a water ball squirt. Take it down a notch. it’s water.

spear people in the nuts on several occasions – slash not a spear, but semantics. Agree it’s lame, but you seem to care more than Deykeser, so…

• pepper2011 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Clean hit? Subban 6’2″ 225lbs Ference 5’8″ 175lbs

• 19to77 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

No kidding. This is the same “No, WE’RE the victims!” horsecrap Julien pulls all the time. The persecution complex is unbelievable.

• pepper2011 - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM

huh?

I never said anything about being a victim. Reading comprehension.

said the Habs are slimy. I didn’t say the B’s lost because of diving. I said the Canadiens were actually somewhat reserved in their diving when they bear the B’s.

Can you read?

The only one claiming victim was “he hit max” guy. (I presume what he meant by “trying to end careers”.

but yeah, nobody sees you trying to deflect.

• pepper2011 - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM

funny how 2/3 pictures they use are the Canadiens.

• zeker1966 - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM

The video you put in is a completely clean hit. I’m not a Canadiens fan so I’m not saying that because I’m a fan. You seem to imply that it was a dirty hit because there is a size difference between the two players. If that was criteria for a clean or dirty hit the NHL would totally suck. Thankfully that is not the criteria for a clean hit.

IMO Subban shouldn’t have gotten any time in the penalty box. But oh well refs sometimes call things because of the perception of wrong doing rather than the actual fact.

• pepper2011 - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM

@Zeker – clean hit?

Clearly an elbow.

watch the 1:05 mark – not follow through. Elbow to the neck.

• alliceishome - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Pot, kettle

• crazyhorse2609 - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I am still trying to figure out what the heck you meant by clean hit? and then the video. I guess all I saw was a regular play that is seen in hockey, a lot.

• pepper2011 - Jul 31, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Everyone has to know by now the embellishment city video is not real, right?

it was made by a Vancouver fan that was embarrassed by the way his team plays.

The only people who take it seriously are Habs and Canucks fans.

The audio didn’t match the clips.

Also – facts. Plain and simple facts. The Bruins have been one of the top 5 teams in the league since 2011.

Bruins:
        2014 – 3rd in league is goals scored. 1st in goal differential. LAST -30th in PP chances.
        2013 – 11th in goals scored. Tied 4th in goal differential. LAST – 30th in PP chances.
        2012 – 2nd in goals scored. 1st in goal differential. Tied for 25th in PP chances.
        2011 – 8th in goals scored. 2nd in goal differential. 26th in PP chances.

Habs:
        2011 – 24th in goals scored. Tied 14th goal differential. 15th in PP chances
        2012 – 20th in goals scored. 19th in goal differential. 3rd in PP chances
        2013 – 3rd in goals scored. Tied for 6th in goal differential. 1st in PP chances.
        2014 – 21st in goals scored. 12th in goal differential. 10th in PP chances.

So explain to me how the Bruins Dive a lot? As I mentioned they get frustrated and try lame stuff because the teams they are playing keep getting away with it.

just to summarize.

Bruins average:
        6th in goals scored.
        2nd in goal diff.
        28th in PP chances.

Canadiens:
        17th in goals scored.
        13th in goal diff.
        7th in PP chances.

DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Statistical anomaly if you will, but yeah – marchands dives from time to time. Also that video is OLD. He toned it way down after the Caps series.

MTL also lead the league and playoffs in embellishment penalties, But, hey don’t let facts get in your way.

4. kotteintheslot - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I’m pretty sure the rest of the NHL outside of Boston feels the same about you Mr. Marchand. Just saying.

5. trolltoll11 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Love to hate Marchand but boy do I wish him and Lucic were on my team.

• trolltoll11 - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM

All you Hab thumb downers know you’d take both of them in a second. Annoying little gnats aren’t ya.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Gallagher annoys me as much or more than Marchand does. Nothing worse than a yappy undersized player that has just enough skill to justify running his mouth.

• 19to77 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Not really. Marchand I’d consider, since his cap hit is very nice for his production. Hate the personality, but the numbers are hard to complain about. Lucic, on the other hand… not so much. For a guy who isn’t particularly sound defensively and is good for what seems to be 25ish goals and 55-60 points, $6m is steep. He’s solid, but there are a number of left wings I’d take before him, Marchand included actually. At least he’s good on the penalty kill even when he isn’t scoring.

And if it’s merely “annoying” to get knocked out of the playoffs, you aren’t passionate enough about the sport.

• trolltoll11 - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:27 AM

19to77 I’m not a Bruins fan. I’m a Rangers fan and a hockey fan. I had nothing bad to say about your team, or your fan base until I saw habs nation throwing bottles and garbage at our boys as they left the ice. That combined with the silly embellishing leads to my “annoying” comment.

6. isphet71 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Marchand has mental problems.

7. hockey412 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I love comments like this.

Well, at least he’s being honest for once. Not used to that from him.

• dewzer - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Amen 412. Everyone says that they don’t want to hear the blah, blah canned comments from athletes but as soon as they say something like this they get hammered. I didn’t always agree with Curt Schilling when he was with the Sox but I loved that he spoke his mind.

8. bsaures - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Careful tomas next time brad may have to “protect himself” and take u out below the knees next time you casually skate near him

9. avscup - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Surprised Marchand didn’t fall down after throwing that pillow at Plakanic. What a Douche. And at a charity event with a bunch of kids around. Very Classy!

• 7mantel - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM

The guy asking the question with the kids around is also a jerk !

10. charlie24zz - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

No one likes you and your big beak too, buddddd

11. govtminion - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Love or hate the guy, at least it isn’t a canned cliché answer. “Well, we have a strong rivalry with [TEAM X], I respect him as a competitor, blah blah blah.” He spoke his mind, and really that’s what I’d prefer these players do when asked a question like that. I want you to answer it, not feed me boring NHL-approved media talk. (Joe Sakic used to drive me nuts with that stuff)

• avscup - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM

And his quick release!

• govtminion - Jul 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Man, that wrist shot of his… no one in the game today comes CLOSE to a shot like what Super Joe had in his prime.

• avscup - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Indeed.

• dewzer - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Like I said above nice to have something interesting come from an athlete.

12. bigblueapple - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Thanks to Mr. Rat-Face… Safe to say, Thomas Plekanec is now the most beloved player in the NHL.

• yetidad - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Go Habs!

13. ballistictrajectory - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Reminds me of Dennis Bonvie.

14. nickiuro - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM

You call that a punch?

15. pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Marchands a rat.

• habs4everfan - Jul 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Please don’t call Mr. Marchand a rat, some of them are useful.

16. charastein - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Marchand – keep doing your job. All these thumbs down show you are one of the best agitators in the league.

Sean Avery would be jealous if he could play. Unlike Nose Face who can actually put up some points now and again.

• bsaures - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Avery career ppg puts him at 35 points per season Which for a bottom six player is very good. Had he kept himself in check a little better he could still be playing hes only 34. Alas he chOse to take his being a dbag role more seriously than his hockey one and eventually became unmanageable for any team to risk him

17. newgod99 - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM

The whole Montreal franchise should be hated. Constant whining and diving is a complete embarrassment to a real mans game. They should put those loser into a soccer league. Sad the league had to help them to the conference finals so Rogers could sell sponsorships easier.

• alliceishome - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Eat crow

18. nicofthenorthstar - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Marchand is a classless bum. Why anyone cares what the weasel thinks is hard to figure.

19. djshnooks - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Marchand has Down syndrome.

• thesportsjudge - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM

You do realize the team you cheer for employed John Scott the last few seasons, right?

• thesheabutterfactory - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM

You realize his team only got John Scott because your team is a bunch of cheap shot artists that hit a goalie without the puck, right?… Tell me more about those unwritten rules Bruins fans go on about. Apparently they only apply to Brooks Orpik and not Milan Lucic.

• thesportsjudge - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I have never pledged allegiance to ANY team on this board.

• thesheabutterfactory - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Ok, but It’s still Boston’s fault Buffalo got Scott, so blame Lucic……. Who do you cheer for?

• thesportsjudge - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I think it was Buffalo’s right to employ Scott. I think, that while legal, Lucic running Miller was douchey. I think Lucic can play an extremely douchey game, but doesn’t all the time. I think Marchand is an agitator, but is so cocky, he needs to get knocked down a peg or two. Finally, I don’t say who I root for(unless it is a player, like Brooks Laich, who after losing in a Game 7 in the playoffs helped a broken down motorist change a tire) because I don’t want to give free ammo to other commenters here. I like sniping comments.

• wutangwild - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:08 PM

hahaha. wait the Wild did too…

20. cyggyx1 - Jul 30, 2014 at 7:35 PM

“I don’t want to give free ammo to other commenters here. I like sniping comments.”

In other words, Judge can dish it out but he cant take it. C’mon judge, don’t be a nancyboy, who’s your team?

• thesportsjudge - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Haha, fair enough, if that is your interpretation.

P.S. I thumbs-upped your comment.

21. scout202sport - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:53 AM

If the Bruins were in the Western Conference, they would be the Canucks. Marchand is nothing more than a talented player that is plagued by his own bad attitude. Imagine how good he would be if he wasn’t such a moron.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Quick (1376)
  2. S. Bennett (1324)
  3. P. Rinne (1172)
  4. K. Timonen (1167)
  5. N. Niederreiter (1163)