Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EST
One of the longest-tenured Devils will be sticking around for a while.
On Wednesday, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello announced a long-term extension for defenseman Andy Greene. Greene, 31, has one year remaining on his current deal — a four-year, $12 million pact with a $3M annual cap hit — meaning his extension will kick in for the 2015-16 campaign.
UPDATE: Per NorthJersey.com, it’s a five-year deal worth $25 million. It carries a $5M annual cap hit and Greene will get $5M in salary in each of the five years. It makes Greene New Jersey’s highest-paid rearguard.
An unsigned college free agent that inked with the Devils in 2006, Greene has spent his entire eight-year career with New Jersey while appearing in nearly 500 regular season contests. Last year, he emerged as arguably the club’s most important blueliner — in addition to scoring a career-best eight goals, Greene averaged a whopping 24:35 TOI per night and led the Devils in blocked shots, with 129.
At the start of this season, New Jersey showed what it felt of Greene’s ability and leadership skills by naming him an alternate captain for the first time in his career. It was a fitting choice, as Greene is the club’s third-longest tenured player behind the Devils’ other two alternate captains, Travis Zajac and Patrik Elias.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)