Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured Devils will be sticking around for a while.
On Wednesday, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello announced a long-term extension for defenseman Andy Greene. Greene, 31, has one year remaining on his current deal — a four-year, $12 million pact with a $3M annual cap hit — meaning his extension will kick in for the 2015-16 campaign.
UPDATE: Per NorthJersey.com, it’s a five-year deal worth $25 million. It carries a $5M annual cap hit and Greene will get $5M in salary in each of the five years. It makes Greene New Jersey’s highest-paid rearguard.
An unsigned college free agent that inked with the Devils in 2006, Greene has spent his entire eight-year career with New Jersey while appearing in nearly 500 regular season contests. Last year, he emerged as arguably the club’s most important blueliner — in addition to scoring a career-best eight goals, Greene averaged a whopping 24:35 TOI per night and led the Devils in blocked shots, with 129.
At the start of this season, New Jersey showed what it felt of Greene’s ability and leadership skills by naming him an alternate captain for the first time in his career. It was a fitting choice, as Greene is the club’s third-longest tenured player behind the Devils’ other two alternate captains, Travis Zajac and Patrik Elias.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)