Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured Devils will be sticking around for a while.
On Wednesday, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello announced a long-term extension for defenseman Andy Greene. Greene, 31, has one year remaining on his current deal — a four-year, $12 million pact with a $3M annual cap hit — meaning his extension will kick in for the 2015-16 campaign.
UPDATE: Per NorthJersey.com, it’s a five-year deal worth $25 million. It carries a $5M annual cap hit and Greene will get $5M in salary in each of the five years. It makes Greene New Jersey’s highest-paid rearguard.
An unsigned college free agent that inked with the Devils in 2006, Greene has spent his entire eight-year career with New Jersey while appearing in nearly 500 regular season contests. Last year, he emerged as arguably the club’s most important blueliner — in addition to scoring a career-best eight goals, Greene averaged a whopping 24:35 TOI per night and led the Devils in blocked shots, with 129.
At the start of this season, New Jersey showed what it felt of Greene’s ability and leadership skills by naming him an alternate captain for the first time in his career. It was a fitting choice, as Greene is the club’s third-longest tenured player behind the Devils’ other two alternate captains, Travis Zajac and Patrik Elias.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 6
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)