Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Sounds as though Minnesota and RFA goalie Darcy Kuemper are at an impasse regarding his new deal.
[Wild GM Chuck] Fletcher admitted though that he hasn’t talked much with Kuemper’s agent since he surprisingly elected not to file for arbitration July 5.
A path toward a possible arbitration date would have at least guaranteed a settlement on a one- or two-year contract and would have assured that Kuemper would be signed by the commencement of camp Sept. 18. Now, a holdout — or at least the threat of one — is a possibility.
It’s not terribly surprising things have gone this way. Kuemper probably figured he held leverage given Minnesota’s uncertainty in goal — Ilya Bryzgalov won’t be brought back, while Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding both have health concerns — and Kuemper did bail the Wild out of a few emergency situations this year, posting a 12-8-4 with a 2.43 GAA and .915 save percentage.
Head coach Mike Yeo also anointed Kuemper the No. 1 goalie to open the playoffs, and he responded by going 3-1 with a 2.03 GAA and one shutout before being sidelined by a concussion.
That said, Fletcher still isn’t of the belief Kuemper’s established himself as a bonafide big-league ‘tender.
“Darcy has great potential and played very well in stretches for us [last] season, but at the end of the day I think he’s played around 30 games in the NHL,” Fletcher said. “Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract. We feel Darcy right now is trying to establish himself in the league, and once he does that it’ll be a little simpler to come up with terms.”
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, this isn’t the first time Kuemper’s contract talks with Minnesota have come to a grind. Russo said Kuemper’s agent “battled” the Wild three years ago on his entry-level deal.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)