Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
A pair of first-round picks at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft will lead the charge for the Czech Republic when it participates in the Hockey Canada National Junior Team Summer Development Camp next week.
Jakub Vrana, taken 13th overall by Washington, and Boston’s David Pastrnak (25th) highlight the list, per NHL.com. The Czech team will be one of three — Canada and Russia are the others — that’ll play in Montreal from Aug. 3-8, a precursor for the 2015 World Juniors that will be played in Montreal and Toronto.
Vrana, 18, has already inked his entry-level deal with the Capitals, though it remains to be seen where he’ll end up playing this fall. He’s already competed against men, having spent last season with Linkopings of the Swedish Hockey League.
Pastrnak, also 18, is in a similar boat. He too has experience with the pro game, having played last year with Swedish first division outfit Södertälje, but is small by NHL standards — 5-foot-10, 165 pounds. That said, Boston was quick to ink Pastrnak to an entry-level deal, and GM Peter Chiarelli wouldn’t rule out the young Czech making the Bruins this fall.
Should both be made available to the Czech junior team in the winter, it’d be a big boost for a program that hasn’t medaled since winning bronze in 2005.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)