Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The first new addition to Ted Nolan’s coaching staff is a noteworthy one.
On Tuesday, a report from the Buffalo News claimed Hall of Famer Bryan Trottier reached an agreement to serve as Nolan’s assistant for the upcoming campaign. The coaching hire is the first mid-April, when the Sabres canned all of Nolan’s staff from last season: assistants Jerry Forton, Joe Sacco and Teppo Numminen, along with goalie guru Jim Corsi.
Trottier, 58, has extensive coaching experience. He broke in as an assistant with Pittsburgh immediately following his decorated playing career in 1993-94, and worked four seasons under Eddie Johnston. From there, he spent one year as the bench boss in AHL Portland before a four-year stint with Bob Hartley in Colorado (winning a Stanley Cup in 2001).
Following his Avalanche tenure, Trottier slogged through an ill-fated season as the Rangers’ head coach, where he was dismissed midway through the year after recording just 21 wins in his first 54 games.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 6
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)