Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Tuesday afternoon was the deadline for prospective buyers to submit their “indication of interest” for the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and, according to the Buffalo News, Sabres owner Terry Pegula officially threw his hat into the ring.
I can confirm that Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula submitted the non-binding bid and notice of intent today for the Buffalo Bills.
— Tim Graham (@ByTimGraham) July 29, 2014
Pegula, who made his fortune in the natural gas industry, purchased the Sabres in February 2011 and was immediately lauded for his spend-happy ways. Buffalo made huge splashes in his first free agent period as owner, inking Christian Ehrhoff and Ville Leino for a combined $67 million (Pegula would later sign off on compliance buyouts for both players.)
The 63-year-old’s foray into the sporting world wasn’t limited to just the NHL, however. A Penn State alumnus, Pegula donated $100 million to construct an on-campus facility — the Pegula Ice Arena — which opened in 2013 and currently houses the Nittany Lions’ hockey team.
As for Pegula’s interest in the Bills, here’s how the remainder of the process will play out, per USA Today:
The Bills’ trust will analyze the field and select a certain number of those initial bids. Those groups, or bidders, will then be able to gain access to more information about the team and move forward in the process.
Sports business expert and analyst Marc Ganis of the Chicago-based firm, Sportscorp, says this is a process which allows for the Bills to gain more access to the bidders’ financials as well. He says at the end of the day, the Trust will make their decision based on who is the “best top bid”.
“You will typically whittle the groups down to those that you think are the most serious, have the greatest ability and are going to pay the highest the highest price. And that last is really important.”
The Bills fanchise is for sale following the death in March of owner Ralph Wilson. It’s believed real estate mogul Donald Trump and musician Jon Bon Jovi have spearheaded groups that also put forth bids.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Blues and Wild meet tonight in Game 3 at Xcel.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Meaning he’ll be eligible to play in Tuesday’s Game 4 in Calgary.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Kings have yet to comment on situation.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Vancouver defenseman received a minor penalty on the hit.
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)