Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EST
From the Carolina Hurricanes:
Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that center Eric Staal underwent surgery to repair a core muscle injury suffered during off-season training. The procedure was performed by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia.
“Eric notified us of the injury late last week, and flew to Raleigh and then Philadelphia to be evaluated,” said Francis. “By having this procedure now, Dr. Meyers believes Eric will be able to return to action for training camp and be at full health for the start of the regular season.”
No word on how or when, exactly, Staal suffered the injury. The 29-year-old was apparently able to golf as recently as mid-July.
Staal is in need of a bounce-back season after a disappointing 2013-14 saw him score just 21 goals in 79 games, i.e. not the production the ‘Canes expected for a salary of $9.25 million.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)