Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Dallas Stars hope their future is bright after adding Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky to a core of forwards that already included Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Stars President Jim Lites also wants to honor the past though and his efforts to do so might lead to the team retiring former defenseman Sergei Zubov and forward Jere Lehtinen’s jerseys.
“Nobody appreciates really the hard work that Sergei Zubov and Jere Lehtinen have done for this franchise,” Lites said, per the Dallas Morning News. “My own feeling is that we’re absolutely going to consider it.
“There’s always a commercial aspect to it. Franchises get accused of exploiting their players and that kind of thing. However it’s done it’s going to be done right. Those two guys were career Dallas Stars … They are the two most significant players that haven’t been put in the Hall of Fame yet, so I think we’re absolutely open to the possibility. But when I get asked the question I always say this: The two I hope to retire for sure are 91 and 14, because if we retire (Seguin’s) 91 and (Benn’s) 14 sometime in the future it’ll mean we’ve won Cups here.”
Lehtinen, who wore the No. 26, spent his full 875-game NHL career with the Stars and finished with 243 goals and 514 points. He won the Selke Trophy three times and was a member of the Stars during their 1999 championship run.
Zubov also won the Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999 after winning his first championship with the Rangers in 1994. The former blueliner participated in 1,068 career games and wore No. 56 with the Stars in 839 of them. He finished his career with 152 goals and 771 points.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Former King, Devil and ‘Cane joins HC Lokomotiv.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Eat some leftovers and watch some quality afternoon hockey.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
He could return in about a week if things progress well.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
Some numbers behind Nashville’s hot start.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:14 AM EST
Friday’s list of link savings.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:35 AM EST
Has appeared in five games with Chicago this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
Forsberg scores the OT winner.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch in nine games.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
X-rays on knee cap came back negative.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)