Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Dallas Stars hope their future is bright after adding Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky to a core of forwards that already included Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Stars President Jim Lites also wants to honor the past though and his efforts to do so might lead to the team retiring former defenseman Sergei Zubov and forward Jere Lehtinen’s jerseys.
“Nobody appreciates really the hard work that Sergei Zubov and Jere Lehtinen have done for this franchise,” Lites said, per the Dallas Morning News. “My own feeling is that we’re absolutely going to consider it.
“There’s always a commercial aspect to it. Franchises get accused of exploiting their players and that kind of thing. However it’s done it’s going to be done right. Those two guys were career Dallas Stars … They are the two most significant players that haven’t been put in the Hall of Fame yet, so I think we’re absolutely open to the possibility. But when I get asked the question I always say this: The two I hope to retire for sure are 91 and 14, because if we retire (Seguin’s) 91 and (Benn’s) 14 sometime in the future it’ll mean we’ve won Cups here.”
Lehtinen, who wore the No. 26, spent his full 875-game NHL career with the Stars and finished with 243 goals and 514 points. He won the Selke Trophy three times and was a member of the Stars during their 1999 championship run.
Zubov also won the Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999 after winning his first championship with the Rangers in 1994. The former blueliner participated in 1,068 career games and wore No. 56 with the Stars in 839 of them. He finished his career with 152 goals and 771 points.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST
Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST
Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Columbus’ star center is having a nice little run at the moment.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
They also summoned Josh Anderson.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:23 AM EST
“Everybody felt like I just want a car to drive it.”
Jan 26, 2015, 10:55 AM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk deemed it a “worthy tournament,” though.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:51 AM EST
Including an intriguing game between the Islanders and Rangers.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)