Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Toronto has added yet another experienced forward via free agency, agreeing to terms with former Anaheim Duck Daniel Winnik on a one-year deal.
UPDATE: Per ESPN, the contract is for $1.3 million.
Winnik, 29, is an interesting case study. He scored a career-high 30 points last season — while making a tidy $1.8 million — and at times proved to be a useful, big-body forward over the course of two years with the Ducks. The former Coyote, Shark and Avalanche did fall out of Bruce Boudreau’s favor in the postseason, though, sitting as a healthy scratch on a number of occasions while recording just one assist in nine games.
That said, there’s certainly upside to his game.
Winnik has good size (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) and shown consistent scoring ability, putting up identical 11-goal, 26-point campaigns in Phoenix and Colorado earlier in his career. As for Toronto taking a one-year flier on him, it’s very similar to what the Leafs did with ex-Canucks forwards David Booth — who, last week, received a one-year, $1.1M deal after getting bought out — and Mike Santorelli, who signed in Toronto for $1.5M after Vancouver let him walk in free agency.
This “vets on the cheap” blueprint was hatched last season, when Toronto inked another ex-Canuck — Mason Raymond — after inviting him to training camp on a PTO. Raymond scored 19 goals and 45 points while playing on a $1M contract, and subsequently landed a three-year, $9.45M deal from Calgary this offseason.
As for Winnik… his $1.3 million cap hit leaves Toronto with around $3M to get a new deal done with RFA defenseman Jake Gardiner (it also leaves Toronto with 17 forwards on NHL contracts, so that’s something else to monitor.)
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)