Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
David Warsofsky played in six games with the Boston Bruins in 2013-14 and the 24-year-old defenseman hopes to spend a lot more time than that with the club next season.
“I think it gave me that confidence. When I did go back to (AHL) Providence, I kind of had that little chip on my shoulder, like I wanted to get back to the NHL,” Warsofsky told CSN New England.
After signing a one-year, two-way contract over the summer, he sees the coming campaign as an important one for him in his quest to earn a regular spot with Boston. He’s been good enough in the AHL to warrant the Bruins attention, but the bigger issue right now is the team’s defensive logjam.
Right now Boston has six defensemen signed to one-way contracts, but that doesn’t include Dougie Hamilton or restricted free agent Torey Krug, which means that there’s no clear opening for Warsofsky as the team is currently structured. That being said, the Bruins are currently in a bit of tough spot from a cap perspective and that might lead to them trading a blueliner.
If a trade or injury creates an opening, Warsofsky would be the most likely candidate to fill the void given that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has previously called him one of the team’s nine NHL defensemen.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)