Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
David Warsofsky played in six games with the Boston Bruins in 2013-14 and the 24-year-old defenseman hopes to spend a lot more time than that with the club next season.
“I think it gave me that confidence. When I did go back to (AHL) Providence, I kind of had that little chip on my shoulder, like I wanted to get back to the NHL,” Warsofsky told CSN New England.
After signing a one-year, two-way contract over the summer, he sees the coming campaign as an important one for him in his quest to earn a regular spot with Boston. He’s been good enough in the AHL to warrant the Bruins attention, but the bigger issue right now is the team’s defensive logjam.
Right now Boston has six defensemen signed to one-way contracts, but that doesn’t include Dougie Hamilton or restricted free agent Torey Krug, which means that there’s no clear opening for Warsofsky as the team is currently structured. That being said, the Bruins are currently in a bit of tough spot from a cap perspective and that might lead to them trading a blueliner.
If a trade or injury creates an opening, Warsofsky would be the most likely candidate to fill the void given that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has previously called him one of the team’s nine NHL defensemen.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)