Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
David Warsofsky played in six games with the Boston Bruins in 2013-14 and the 24-year-old defenseman hopes to spend a lot more time than that with the club next season.
“I think it gave me that confidence. When I did go back to (AHL) Providence, I kind of had that little chip on my shoulder, like I wanted to get back to the NHL,” Warsofsky told CSN New England.
After signing a one-year, two-way contract over the summer, he sees the coming campaign as an important one for him in his quest to earn a regular spot with Boston. He’s been good enough in the AHL to warrant the Bruins attention, but the bigger issue right now is the team’s defensive logjam.
Right now Boston has six defensemen signed to one-way contracts, but that doesn’t include Dougie Hamilton or restricted free agent Torey Krug, which means that there’s no clear opening for Warsofsky as the team is currently structured. That being said, the Bruins are currently in a bit of tough spot from a cap perspective and that might lead to them trading a blueliner.
If a trade or injury creates an opening, Warsofsky would be the most likely candidate to fill the void given that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has previously called him one of the team’s nine NHL defensemen.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)