Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
David Warsofsky played in six games with the Boston Bruins in 2013-14 and the 24-year-old defenseman hopes to spend a lot more time than that with the club next season.
“I think it gave me that confidence. When I did go back to (AHL) Providence, I kind of had that little chip on my shoulder, like I wanted to get back to the NHL,” Warsofsky told CSN New England.
After signing a one-year, two-way contract over the summer, he sees the coming campaign as an important one for him in his quest to earn a regular spot with Boston. He’s been good enough in the AHL to warrant the Bruins attention, but the bigger issue right now is the team’s defensive logjam.
Right now Boston has six defensemen signed to one-way contracts, but that doesn’t include Dougie Hamilton or restricted free agent Torey Krug, which means that there’s no clear opening for Warsofsky as the team is currently structured. That being said, the Bruins are currently in a bit of tough spot from a cap perspective and that might lead to them trading a blueliner.
If a trade or injury creates an opening, Warsofsky would be the most likely candidate to fill the void given that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has previously called him one of the team’s nine NHL defensemen.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)