Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
After winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years, the Los Angeles Kings will start the road to the 2014-15 campaign with Hockey Fest ’14 and an alumni game on Sept. 14.
The alumni game itself is interesting because it will feature some of the Kings’ greats against a Russian all-star alumni team.
Per the Kings’ website:
Players representing the Kings team will include (subject to change): Luc Robitaille, Nelson Emerson, Craig Johnson, Mike Donnelly, Jim Fox, Daryl Evans, Ron Duguay, Charlie Simmer, Rob Blake, Sean O’Donnell, Jaroslav Modry, Mike O’Connell and Jamie Storr. Rogie Vachon and Glen Murray are slated to serve as Honorary Coaches.
Players from the Russian Stars team will include (subject to change): Alexey Yashin, Slava Fetisov, Alexei Kasatonov, Val Bure, Pavel Bure, Darius Kasparitis, Vladie Malakhov, Alex Kovalev, Andrei Kovalenko and Tony Esposito.
Kings fans that like alumni games should be happy about that cast, especially after last season’s outdoor game against Anaheim didn’t feature such an event.
Before the alumni game, the Kings’ Hockey Fest will feature current players and coaches participating in a Q&A as well as other events. The Kings also have a 5k run scheduled for Sept. 13 and a golf tournament on Sept. 15. All the events will raise money for charities, including the Kings Care Foundation.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39