Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
After winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years, the Los Angeles Kings will start the road to the 2014-15 campaign with Hockey Fest ’14 and an alumni game on Sept. 14.
The alumni game itself is interesting because it will feature some of the Kings’ greats against a Russian all-star alumni team.
Per the Kings’ website:
Players representing the Kings team will include (subject to change): Luc Robitaille, Nelson Emerson, Craig Johnson, Mike Donnelly, Jim Fox, Daryl Evans, Ron Duguay, Charlie Simmer, Rob Blake, Sean O’Donnell, Jaroslav Modry, Mike O’Connell and Jamie Storr. Rogie Vachon and Glen Murray are slated to serve as Honorary Coaches.
Players from the Russian Stars team will include (subject to change): Alexey Yashin, Slava Fetisov, Alexei Kasatonov, Val Bure, Pavel Bure, Darius Kasparitis, Vladie Malakhov, Alex Kovalev, Andrei Kovalenko and Tony Esposito.
Kings fans that like alumni games should be happy about that cast, especially after last season’s outdoor game against Anaheim didn’t feature such an event.
Before the alumni game, the Kings’ Hockey Fest will feature current players and coaches participating in a Q&A as well as other events. The Kings also have a 5k run scheduled for Sept. 13 and a golf tournament on Sept. 15. All the events will raise money for charities, including the Kings Care Foundation.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 13
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 2
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2