Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
After winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years, the Los Angeles Kings will start the road to the 2014-15 campaign with Hockey Fest ’14 and an alumni game on Sept. 14.
The alumni game itself is interesting because it will feature some of the Kings’ greats against a Russian all-star alumni team.
Per the Kings’ website:
Players representing the Kings team will include (subject to change): Luc Robitaille, Nelson Emerson, Craig Johnson, Mike Donnelly, Jim Fox, Daryl Evans, Ron Duguay, Charlie Simmer, Rob Blake, Sean O’Donnell, Jaroslav Modry, Mike O’Connell and Jamie Storr. Rogie Vachon and Glen Murray are slated to serve as Honorary Coaches.
Players from the Russian Stars team will include (subject to change): Alexey Yashin, Slava Fetisov, Alexei Kasatonov, Val Bure, Pavel Bure, Darius Kasparitis, Vladie Malakhov, Alex Kovalev, Andrei Kovalenko and Tony Esposito.
Kings fans that like alumni games should be happy about that cast, especially after last season’s outdoor game against Anaheim didn’t feature such an event.
Before the alumni game, the Kings’ Hockey Fest will feature current players and coaches participating in a Q&A as well as other events. The Kings also have a 5k run scheduled for Sept. 13 and a golf tournament on Sept. 15. All the events will raise money for charities, including the Kings Care Foundation.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)