Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs caught the hockey world’s attention when they hired Kyle Dubas to be an assistant general manager. Dubas, who previously served as the general manager of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, stands out from the crowd, both due to his age (28) and his advocacy of analytics.
The usefulness of advanced statistics in hockey has been heavily debated in recent years, but teams seem to be gradually moving towards accepting them as another evaluation tool. The fact that the Maple Leafs, a franchise which has previously been criticized for ignoring analytics, brought Dubas on board makes him an embodiment of that philosophical shift, at least to an extent. However, Dubas doesn’t see himself as just that stats guy.
“People trying to determine whether I’m a hockey guy or an analytics guy, I mean, the reality of it that I’m someone whose worked in hockey my entire life that over the past number of years has begun to develop a usefulness for analytics that have really helped us (with the Greyhounds) over time,” Dubas said in an interview on Marek Vs. Wyshynski. He added, “It’s a piece of the puzzle, it’s not the whole secret sauce or anything like that … It’s been a big help to us in reducing uncertainty and just gathering more information. It’s not a one-way or the other proportion.”
Dubas believes that anything that happens on the ice, so long as it can be clearly explained, can potentially be quantified. He also doesn’t buy into the argument that analytics don’t work in fluid sport like hockey.
“You can kind of reach and track a bunch of different things that aren’t really mainstream yet and I think it all has value,” Dubas said. “It’s just a matter of … trying to find out which pieces of data can help us to eliminate uncertainty and which ones are maybe not what we thought they were.”
It’s not a substitute for watching the game and scouting players that way, but he feels the information that analytics provides him with does enhance that process.
You can listen to the full interview below:
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)