Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
New Edmonton Oilers forward Teddy Purcell has learned a few things in his time in the NHL.
Going from the Los Angeles Kings to the Tampa Bay Lightning helped establish him as a very offensively capable player who can score goals and distribute the puck. If there’s one thing he says he needs to do more of, however, it’s to shoot the puck as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal shared.
Purcell said he get yelled at a lot for not firing the puck more often — he recorded 156 shots in 80 games last season — “but there are lots of guys here who can make plays, so I’ll shoot more.”
Over his career, Purcell hasn’t been a big time shooter.
In 310 career games, he has 645 shots on goal — an average of 2.08 per game. He has 67 career goals and while being a set-up man is great to have, the Oilers aren’t running short on those with Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle.
Hall, Eberle and David Perron were very capable goal scorers last season but the Oilers will need more punch there. Purcell scored 24 goals in 2011-12 and 17 the season before that. Since then, he was caught up passing off to Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis. Great options to defer to, but now he’ll be the “older” guy at 28 years old playing in Edmonton.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)