Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
As things currently stand in Calgary, Jonas Hiller is likely to enter the season as the Flames’ number one goaltender and Karri Ramo will challenge him for playing time. However, that doesn’t render 23-year-old goaltender Joni Ortio irrelevant.
Ortio made his NHL debut last season and went on to post a 2.51 GAA and .891 save percentage in nine games. The Flames recently signed him to a two-year deal, but the financial terms weren’t immediately disclosed. Now we know that his contract becomes one-way in 2015-16, so while he’s a long shot to make the team’s opening game roster this season, they clearly see him as a significant candidate to land a regular roster spot in the not too distant future.
“I think we’ve got three good goaltenders here who all want a bite of the apple,” Flames GM Brad Treliving said, per the team’s website. “That only makes us better and that, to me in this business, it’s a competitive business and when you have competition, it brings out the best in everyone.
“That’s the goal. Bringing Joni into the mix now, it really just makes us deeper and stronger at the position.”
Hiller’s deal with the Flames only runs through the 2015-16 campaign and Ramo is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015, so the Flames haven’t made a long-term commitment to any of their goalies. In other words, this season is set up to be an on-the-job audition with the potential prize of being the team’s starting goaltender for years to come up for grabs.
Apr 2, 2015, 12:16 AM EDT
Looked like a sure goal.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)