Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
As things currently stand in Calgary, Jonas Hiller is likely to enter the season as the Flames’ number one goaltender and Karri Ramo will challenge him for playing time. However, that doesn’t render 23-year-old goaltender Joni Ortio irrelevant.
Ortio made his NHL debut last season and went on to post a 2.51 GAA and .891 save percentage in nine games. The Flames recently signed him to a two-year deal, but the financial terms weren’t immediately disclosed. Now we know that his contract becomes one-way in 2015-16, so while he’s a long shot to make the team’s opening game roster this season, they clearly see him as a significant candidate to land a regular roster spot in the not too distant future.
“I think we’ve got three good goaltenders here who all want a bite of the apple,” Flames GM Brad Treliving said, per the team’s website. “That only makes us better and that, to me in this business, it’s a competitive business and when you have competition, it brings out the best in everyone.
“That’s the goal. Bringing Joni into the mix now, it really just makes us deeper and stronger at the position.”
Hiller’s deal with the Flames only runs through the 2015-16 campaign and Ramo is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015, so the Flames haven’t made a long-term commitment to any of their goalies. In other words, this season is set up to be an on-the-job audition with the potential prize of being the team’s starting goaltender for years to come up for grabs.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)