Former NHLer Cote sentenced 30 months in jail for bank robberies

Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Image (1) predatorslogo-thumb-250x155-19571.gif for post 15160

Former NHL enforcer Patrick Cote will be spending up to the next 30 months behind bars after being sentenced for his role in a pair of bank robberies.

According to CJAD radio in Montreal, Cote, 39, confessed to robbing two banks in Quebec – one in Brossard and the other in Saint Constant.

As The Tennessean shared, Cote is no stranger to running afoul of the law. He was arrested in Malone, NY in 2002 for being in possession of 30 pounds of marijuana.

In his NHL career, Cote played for the Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators, and Edmonton Oilers. He played in 105 games, 91 of those with the Predators, amassing one goal, two assists, and 377 penalty minutes. He last played for the Oilers during the 2000-01 season. He played for seven more seasons after that in a pair of semi-pro leagues in Quebec.

1. justanotherphillyfan - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM

What would the penalty be for carrying 30 pounds of weed in NY ?

2. hojo20 - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Cote is just following Obama’s way of thinking….steal from others if you don’t feel like earning it yourself.

• phtjoey - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

This explains why there were no bank robberies during the 8 years G.W. Bush was in the WH. That administration was sending all the gang bangers and thugs to fight wars which were started based on lies.

hojo, think twice before you write dumb comments.

• letsgocaps88 - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I guess i’m one of them gang bangers or thugs. US NAVY Veteran. Two tours in the Middle east. My credit score is 763 ;-)

• 950003cups - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Phtjoey

Id like to buy you a drink of cyanide. Drink up loser! Make the wold a better place.

• storminator16 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:12 AM

letsgocaps88, you feel better about yourself now that you’ve got that off your chest? “gang bangers and thugs”? Really?

I’m not sure how an article about Patrick Cote going to jail has sunk PHT to this level. Wow. Not sure how I am surprised. Always reminds me how ignorant my fellow Americans can be. As far as I can see, I don’t see Canadians on here spouting this non-sense.

• i1theinternet - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM

only a douchebomb talks about their credit score in public.

• chanceoffleury - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM

@letsgocaps88 thank you for your sacrifice. I hear your duty can be very mentally taxing on a person but somebody has to make the sacrifice for the rest of us. And I mean that in regards to you being a Caps fan. But I guess the navy had similar effects, so thanks for that too! ;)

• c9castine - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

your being voted down heavily for two reasons…

A. your wrong

B. dont put political crap on PHT. go to the CNN comments section or something like that where all the other idiots go.

• shaundre93 - Jul 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I think you meant fox news

• 950003cups - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:42 AM

C9 is the “thumbs down” police?

• storminator16 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:14 AM

No, shaundre93, if you really watch CNN, they are feeding you a line, too. Whatever you choose to believe in, I guess.

This is exactly why this kind of discussion has no place here.

• georgejarkko - Jul 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM

*you’re

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jul 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Thanks for the insightful commentary Sean Hannity.

• Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Who knew Obama was into robbing banks in Canada?

I guess he should have done it the Bush/Cheney way. Blow the bank up, then get the bank to hire his construction company to rebuild it.

• 950003cups - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:40 AM

You’re a good man hojo20

I guess all the “cool kids” didn’t get the memo. It’s no longer considered in fashion to kiss Obama’s butt.

• storminator16 - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM

hojo20 and phtjoey, keep your political opinions to yourselves.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Officially the worst attempt at a political jab today, you sir, lose the internet

• raleighcaniac - Jul 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM

letsgocapps88: So you’re a Navy vet with two middle east tours?? Doing what? Probably onboard ship floating in the Gulf and never missing a meal. I’m a Marine Corps veteran. Unless you were a Corpsman assigned to a rifle platoon then you should STFU. I suspect my friends in the US Army would say the same thing to you.

• jpelle82 - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM

caniac I’m interested to know about your tour(s) assigned to a rifle platoon. north Carolina eh? 2nd marines?

• raleighcaniac - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM

3rd Battalion 5th Marines 1st MarDiv

• jpelle82 - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Darkhorse. were you in afganistan in ’10? fallujah in ’04?

• c1md6 - Jul 29, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Probably the same penalty for a man grabbing another male cops buttocks.

3. nicofthenorthstar - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Still has far more class than the woman beaters the NFL employs.

• royalvoyager - Jul 28, 2014 at 2:48 AM

This comment is pointless

• sabatimus - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Mentioning that the NFL employs women beaters is pointless how? Might be apples and oranges on the criminal front, but it’s true, and it’s disturbing.

4. nicofthenorthstar - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Sweet credit score, bro!

5. Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM

This is why you should only rob banks with ex-Nascar or ex-F1 drivers… as long as the escape car is upto speed.

6. pensman29 - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Well this got out of hand fast

• no - Jul 28, 2014 at 11:55 AM

because some people feel the need to inject their political philosophies in to everything.

are people really insecure enough to have to seek validation from every arbitrary news event?

thug does thug thing, once played in nhl. that’s it.

blomfeld, play me off with some random youtube

7. titansbro - Jul 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM

30 months for robbing banks? Seems light, oh it’s Canada.

• jpelle82 - Jul 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM

thank you, I was panning this entire nonsensical stream of inane comments to finally find one that was relevant. it is light in my opinion, but I guess maybe if he wasn’t armed the law is different up there? if you aren’t strong-arming it, does it make it a white collar type robbery, therefore less time?

• timmmah10 - Jul 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM

^^

Only 30 months… Canadians do love their hockey players…

• Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM

OJ got away with murder… Kobe got away with rape… Yeah Canada’s SO bad.

8. patthehockeyfan - Jul 28, 2014 at 7:30 AM

It’s sad that Cote did this to himself. After a not-so-promising NHL career, one would hope that life outside hockey could have offered him a different choice. Hopefully, he’ll be able to see the error of his ways while sitting in a Canadian jail for the next 30 months. Good luck to him.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches