Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have inked Dana Tyrell to a one-year, two-way contract, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie. His contract is worth $650,000 at the NHL level and he’s been guaranteed a minimum of $150,000 for the 2014-15 campaign.
Tyrell was taken in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Tampa Bay Lightning and broke into the NHL in 2010-11 with six goals and 15 points in 78 contests. However, he hasn’t played in more than 26 NHL contests in a single season since his rookie campaign. He now has 24 points in 132 career games.
The Blue Jackets acquired him and Matt Taormina from Tampa Bay in March in exchange for Dalton Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. In addition to playing in seven contests with Tampa Bay last season, Tyrell had 15 goals and 33 points in 63 games with the AHL Syracuse Crunch and Springfield Falcons.
Columbus has 10 forwards signed to one-way contracts, not including restricted free agent Ryan Johansen, so it looks like there will be openings going into training camp. At the same time, Tyrell has his work cut out for him with the likes of Brian Gibbons, Boone Jenner, and Simon Hjalmarsson competing for the same roster spots.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)