Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets have inked Dana Tyrell to a one-year, two-way contract, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie. His contract is worth $650,000 at the NHL level and he’s been guaranteed a minimum of $150,000 for the 2014-15 campaign.
Tyrell was taken in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Tampa Bay Lightning and broke into the NHL in 2010-11 with six goals and 15 points in 78 contests. However, he hasn’t played in more than 26 NHL contests in a single season since his rookie campaign. He now has 24 points in 132 career games.
The Blue Jackets acquired him and Matt Taormina from Tampa Bay in March in exchange for Dalton Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. In addition to playing in seven contests with Tampa Bay last season, Tyrell had 15 goals and 33 points in 63 games with the AHL Syracuse Crunch and Springfield Falcons.
Columbus has 10 forwards signed to one-way contracts, not including restricted free agent Ryan Johansen, so it looks like there will be openings going into training camp. At the same time, Tyrell has his work cut out for him with the likes of Brian Gibbons, Boone Jenner, and Simon Hjalmarsson competing for the same roster spots.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)