Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have inked Dana Tyrell to a one-year, two-way contract, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie. His contract is worth $650,000 at the NHL level and he’s been guaranteed a minimum of $150,000 for the 2014-15 campaign.
Tyrell was taken in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Tampa Bay Lightning and broke into the NHL in 2010-11 with six goals and 15 points in 78 contests. However, he hasn’t played in more than 26 NHL contests in a single season since his rookie campaign. He now has 24 points in 132 career games.
The Blue Jackets acquired him and Matt Taormina from Tampa Bay in March in exchange for Dalton Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. In addition to playing in seven contests with Tampa Bay last season, Tyrell had 15 goals and 33 points in 63 games with the AHL Syracuse Crunch and Springfield Falcons.
Columbus has 10 forwards signed to one-way contracts, not including restricted free agent Ryan Johansen, so it looks like there will be openings going into training camp. At the same time, Tyrell has his work cut out for him with the likes of Brian Gibbons, Boone Jenner, and Simon Hjalmarsson competing for the same roster spots.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)