Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have inked Dana Tyrell to a one-year, two-way contract, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie. His contract is worth $650,000 at the NHL level and he’s been guaranteed a minimum of $150,000 for the 2014-15 campaign.
Tyrell was taken in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Tampa Bay Lightning and broke into the NHL in 2010-11 with six goals and 15 points in 78 contests. However, he hasn’t played in more than 26 NHL contests in a single season since his rookie campaign. He now has 24 points in 132 career games.
The Blue Jackets acquired him and Matt Taormina from Tampa Bay in March in exchange for Dalton Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. In addition to playing in seven contests with Tampa Bay last season, Tyrell had 15 goals and 33 points in 63 games with the AHL Syracuse Crunch and Springfield Falcons.
Columbus has 10 forwards signed to one-way contracts, not including restricted free agent Ryan Johansen, so it looks like there will be openings going into training camp. At the same time, Tyrell has his work cut out for him with the likes of Brian Gibbons, Boone Jenner, and Simon Hjalmarsson competing for the same roster spots.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)