Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have inked Dana Tyrell to a one-year, two-way contract, per TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie. His contract is worth $650,000 at the NHL level and he’s been guaranteed a minimum of $150,000 for the 2014-15 campaign.
Tyrell was taken in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Tampa Bay Lightning and broke into the NHL in 2010-11 with six goals and 15 points in 78 contests. However, he hasn’t played in more than 26 NHL contests in a single season since his rookie campaign. He now has 24 points in 132 career games.
The Blue Jackets acquired him and Matt Taormina from Tampa Bay in March in exchange for Dalton Smith and Jonathan Marchessault. In addition to playing in seven contests with Tampa Bay last season, Tyrell had 15 goals and 33 points in 63 games with the AHL Syracuse Crunch and Springfield Falcons.
Columbus has 10 forwards signed to one-way contracts, not including restricted free agent Ryan Johansen, so it looks like there will be openings going into training camp. At the same time, Tyrell has his work cut out for him with the likes of Brian Gibbons, Boone Jenner, and Simon Hjalmarsson competing for the same roster spots.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)