Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Derick Brassard‘s big season with the New York Rangers has earned him a big deal.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports Brassard will avoid arbitration and has agreed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Rangers. The two sides were due to appear in court on Monday. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reports the deal hasn’t been signed as there are a few details left to get ironed out. It’s just a matter of time before it’s made official.
Update (4:19 p.m. ET): Rangers officially announce the signing.
Last season, Brassard blossomed with the Rangers as their third line center between Benoit Pouliot and Mats Zuccarello. He scored 18 goals and had 45 points in the regular season and had six goals and six assists in the Rangers’ run to the Stanley Cup Final. Just ask the Pittsburgh Penguins what they thought of that line in the Eastern Conference Semifinal.
In seven seasons with the Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets, Brassard has 81 goals and 225 points. In New York, however, he’s emerged as an important offensive threat and will likely head into next season as the team’s No. 2 center. While he’s battled injury throughout his career, when he’s been healthy he’s been a very good player – just as the Rangers saw last season.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)