Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Derick Brassard‘s big season with the New York Rangers has earned him a big deal.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports Brassard will avoid arbitration and has agreed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Rangers. The two sides were due to appear in court on Monday. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reports the deal hasn’t been signed as there are a few details left to get ironed out. It’s just a matter of time before it’s made official.
Update (4:19 p.m. ET): Rangers officially announce the signing.
Last season, Brassard blossomed with the Rangers as their third line center between Benoit Pouliot and Mats Zuccarello. He scored 18 goals and had 45 points in the regular season and had six goals and six assists in the Rangers’ run to the Stanley Cup Final. Just ask the Pittsburgh Penguins what they thought of that line in the Eastern Conference Semifinal.
In seven seasons with the Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets, Brassard has 81 goals and 225 points. In New York, however, he’s emerged as an important offensive threat and will likely head into next season as the team’s No. 2 center. While he’s battled injury throughout his career, when he’s been healthy he’s been a very good player – just as the Rangers saw last season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)