Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Seeing Lee Stempniak sign with the New York Rangers made a lot of sense for both sides.
The Rangers needed a player to replace Benoit Pouliot, who signed with Edmonton this summer, on their third line. Stempniak needed to find a team to give him an opportunity to prove himself after a disappointing finish with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
As Jim Cerny of Blueshirts United shared, Stempniak feels the Rangers give him a great chance to succeed.
“The style of play they play is well-suited to my game, and I think I can contribute, come in and help the team win games,” stated Stempniak. “I think this is a really good opportunity for me. I feel like this is a good fit for me. For me I try and skate and use my speed, get in on the forecheck, attack off the rush–speed is key to my game. But I also play hard, have a strong work ethic, and look to play a 200-foot game. That should fit in with this team’s style, I hope.”
Stempniak had 12 goals and 34 points with the Penguins and Calgary Flames last season. Throughout his career he’s been a steady 14-goal per year guy doing it three times.
For the record, Pouliot had 15 goals and 36 points for the Rangers last season. Seems like Stempniak might just be the perfect fit.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)