Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Seeing Lee Stempniak sign with the New York Rangers made a lot of sense for both sides.
The Rangers needed a player to replace Benoit Pouliot, who signed with Edmonton this summer, on their third line. Stempniak needed to find a team to give him an opportunity to prove himself after a disappointing finish with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
As Jim Cerny of Blueshirts United shared, Stempniak feels the Rangers give him a great chance to succeed.
“The style of play they play is well-suited to my game, and I think I can contribute, come in and help the team win games,” stated Stempniak. “I think this is a really good opportunity for me. I feel like this is a good fit for me. For me I try and skate and use my speed, get in on the forecheck, attack off the rush–speed is key to my game. But I also play hard, have a strong work ethic, and look to play a 200-foot game. That should fit in with this team’s style, I hope.”
Stempniak had 12 goals and 34 points with the Penguins and Calgary Flames last season. Throughout his career he’s been a steady 14-goal per year guy doing it three times.
For the record, Pouliot had 15 goals and 36 points for the Rangers last season. Seems like Stempniak might just be the perfect fit.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)