Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
Seeing Lee Stempniak sign with the New York Rangers made a lot of sense for both sides.
The Rangers needed a player to replace Benoit Pouliot, who signed with Edmonton this summer, on their third line. Stempniak needed to find a team to give him an opportunity to prove himself after a disappointing finish with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
As Jim Cerny of Blueshirts United shared, Stempniak feels the Rangers give him a great chance to succeed.
“The style of play they play is well-suited to my game, and I think I can contribute, come in and help the team win games,” stated Stempniak. “I think this is a really good opportunity for me. I feel like this is a good fit for me. For me I try and skate and use my speed, get in on the forecheck, attack off the rush–speed is key to my game. But I also play hard, have a strong work ethic, and look to play a 200-foot game. That should fit in with this team’s style, I hope.”
Stempniak had 12 goals and 34 points with the Penguins and Calgary Flames last season. Throughout his career he’s been a steady 14-goal per year guy doing it three times.
For the record, Pouliot had 15 goals and 36 points for the Rangers last season. Seems like Stempniak might just be the perfect fit.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 50
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (140)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)