Jul 26, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed big, physical defenseman Brett Bellemore to a one-year, two-way deal on Friday. The contract is worth $600K at the NHL level and goes down to $175K in the AHL.
Hurricanes blog Canes Country expressed some surprise that the Hurricanes managed to sign the 26-year-old blueliner to a flexibility-friendly two-way deal, and it’s easy to see why that was a slight upset. Bellemore managed to play 64 games with the Hurricanes in 2013-14, finishing with the most hits of any defenseman with 169 in that span.
He also put up some respectable possession numbers, particularly for a player who is mainly useful in his own end (eight points last season). Granted, he certainly benefited from his time spent with traditionally strong possession defenseman Ron Hainsey, which was a common pairing for Carolina last season.
This signing gives the Hurricanes eight defensemen with a reasonable chance to make the NHL, so despite a fairly solid run last season, this will be an important training camp run for Bellemore. Even if Bellemore bounces between the AHL and NHL, this signing still gives the Hurricanes some nice depth to cushion the blow of injuries.
For an interesting look at how well Bellemore played at times with Hainsey, 33, last season, click here.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)