Jul 26, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes signed big, physical defenseman Brett Bellemore to a one-year, two-way deal on Friday. The contract is worth $600K at the NHL level and goes down to $175K in the AHL.
Hurricanes blog Canes Country expressed some surprise that the Hurricanes managed to sign the 26-year-old blueliner to a flexibility-friendly two-way deal, and it’s easy to see why that was a slight upset. Bellemore managed to play 64 games with the Hurricanes in 2013-14, finishing with the most hits of any defenseman with 169 in that span.
He also put up some respectable possession numbers, particularly for a player who is mainly useful in his own end (eight points last season). Granted, he certainly benefited from his time spent with traditionally strong possession defenseman Ron Hainsey, which was a common pairing for Carolina last season.
This signing gives the Hurricanes eight defensemen with a reasonable chance to make the NHL, so despite a fairly solid run last season, this will be an important training camp run for Bellemore. Even if Bellemore bounces between the AHL and NHL, this signing still gives the Hurricanes some nice depth to cushion the blow of injuries.
For an interesting look at how well Bellemore played at times with Hainsey, 33, last season, click here.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)