Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EST
There are still a couple days for the New York Rangers and Derick Brassard to avoid a Monday salary arbitration hearing, but in the meantime, the two sides’ submissions are in. Brassard seeks $4.95 million while the Rangers request a $3.825 million mark, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Back on July 17, word surfaced that Brassard wanted $5.5 million while former restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello asked for $4.5 million. Zuccarello already settled for $3.5 million and avoided arbitration, while it obviously at least looks like Brassard will receive at least a bit more money than the Rangers’ 2013-14 regular season scoring leader.
Brassard scored 18 goals and 45 points in 81 regular season games before collecting 12 points in 23 playoff contests last season. He’s likely to be counted on quite a bit more in 2014-15 after the team’s summer of turnover at the center position.
The former Columbus Blue Jackets first-rounder made it sound like it’s just a matter of time before he signs with the Rangers, as he discussed with the New York Daily News at Dominic Moore‘s “Smashfest” charity tournament (more on that soon):
“I tried to get away from the game a little bit, but now I’m back in the gym trying to get stronger and faster,” Brassard said on Thursday. “Just this week I was thinking about how excited I am about going back to New York and playing again.
“It’s great to see friends and spend time with family in the summer, but after the run we had, I just feel like I want to play again. I want to do this again.”
It sounds like the two sides will find a compromise, but we’ll need to wait and see.
Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.
Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
One of the best performances in international hockey history.
Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.
Dec 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
From down 0-3 to winning it all.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)