Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
There are still a couple days for the New York Rangers and Derick Brassard to avoid a Monday salary arbitration hearing, but in the meantime, the two sides’ submissions are in. Brassard seeks $4.95 million while the Rangers request a $3.825 million mark, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Back on July 17, word surfaced that Brassard wanted $5.5 million while former restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello asked for $4.5 million. Zuccarello already settled for $3.5 million and avoided arbitration, while it obviously at least looks like Brassard will receive at least a bit more money than the Rangers’ 2013-14 regular season scoring leader.
Brassard scored 18 goals and 45 points in 81 regular season games before collecting 12 points in 23 playoff contests last season. He’s likely to be counted on quite a bit more in 2014-15 after the team’s summer of turnover at the center position.
The former Columbus Blue Jackets first-rounder made it sound like it’s just a matter of time before he signs with the Rangers, as he discussed with the New York Daily News at Dominic Moore‘s “Smashfest” charity tournament (more on that soon):
“I tried to get away from the game a little bit, but now I’m back in the gym trying to get stronger and faster,” Brassard said on Thursday. “Just this week I was thinking about how excited I am about going back to New York and playing again.
“It’s great to see friends and spend time with family in the summer, but after the run we had, I just feel like I want to play again. I want to do this again.”
It sounds like the two sides will find a compromise, but we’ll need to wait and see.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
Jumping around a busy Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Was it a dirty hit?
Oct 25, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist didn’t star, but grabbed an assist.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Seems like a broken record, right?
Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maybe the headline should read goaltending optional instead?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Dougie Hamilton’s had a strong night.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Challenging night for Tampa Bay.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Things didn’t look particularly “right” on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Yikes on so many levels.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist plays in Nashville as a visitor for the first time.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The 21-year-old was recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)