Brassard, Rangers about $1.1M apart in arbitration requests

Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Three Getty Images

There are still a couple days for the New York Rangers and Derick Brassard to avoid a Monday salary arbitration hearing, but in the meantime, the two sides’ submissions are in. Brassard seeks $4.95 million while the Rangers request a $3.825 million mark, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.

Back on July 17, word surfaced that Brassard wanted $5.5 million while former restricted free agent Mats Zuccarello asked for $4.5 million. Zuccarello already settled for $3.5 million and avoided arbitration, while it obviously at least looks like Brassard will receive at least a bit more money than the Rangers’ 2013-14 regular season scoring leader.

Brassard scored 18 goals and 45 points in 81 regular season games before collecting 12 points in 23 playoff contests last season. He’s likely to be counted on quite a bit more in 2014-15 after the team’s summer of turnover at the center position.

The former Columbus Blue Jackets first-rounder made it sound like it’s just a matter of time before he signs with the Rangers, as he discussed with the New York Daily News at Dominic Moore‘s “Smashfest” charity tournament (more on that soon):

“I tried to get away from the game a little bit, but now I’m back in the gym trying to get stronger and faster,” Brassard said on Thursday. “Just this week I was thinking about how excited I am about going back to New York and playing again.

“It’s great to see friends and spend time with family in the summer, but after the run we had, I just feel like I want to play again. I want to do this again.”

It sounds like the two sides will find a compromise, but we’ll need to wait and see.

1. stakex - Jul 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM

In the end he’ll probably sign for 2-4 years at a price of $4.3-5 million. That would be fine given the Rangers cap space, and would leave them with between $3-4 million in cap space left (after the roster is trimmed to 20 players and Hunwick, Kostka, and Mueller are removed from the cap) to re-sign Moore…. which is far more than enough.

• DED - Jul 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM

$4.3 million would be reasonable for Brassard. Far better than that $5.5 million nonsense.

2. schneider99 - Jul 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I’m all for nickel and diming to get a cap friendly deal done, but I hope Sather gets this done ASAP. I don’t want this going to arbitration, especially since that won’t allow a long-term deal to be struck.

3. 950003cups - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Bunch of ungrateful spoiled brats. Me Sather brought them to the finals for the first and likely only time in their lives, and this is the thanks he gets? If I’m Mr Sather, I fire all three of them, that Zuccarello brat, that Kreider kid, and especially that Brassard punk!

• billiam55 - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:35 PM

can we please ban this tard from commenting on rangers stories?

• 7mantel - Jul 27, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Don’t reply to his childish post and maybe he’ll get tired and go away !

4. lowenni - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Please, he’s just greedy if he thinks he deserves 4.5 million. I like Brassard a lot and I do think he’s a pretty underrated talent, but looking for 1 mil more than the guy who LED the team in scoring is absurd. If he wants to take a one year contract to try and prove himself as a 55+ point guy then he can start asking for 4.5 mil. First Callahan and now this kid…

5. scopolamine9 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM

4 mil is fair. Meet in the middle and get him locked up for a few years. This group deserves what they are getting. Now its time to push for that cup.
    Go Rangers

6. bleedrangerblue - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Cups= idiot. She’s still mad at Kovalchuk and Parise.

7. bleedrangerblue - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Missee Odulya. Prob has a daneyko poster in her room

8. bleedrangerblue - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM

*misses

9. bskid25 - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM

No offseason for 950003’s hard-on or our NYR I guess.

Bruins faithful should be worried

Top 10 NHL Player Searches