Jul 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
New Carolina Hurricanes coach Bill Peters may have his hands full in getting the team to be a playoff contender, but he has big plans and hopes for the job.
Peters spoke with ‘Canes fans at the team’s Summerfest in Raleigh and as Chip Alexander of the News & Observer tweeted, what he wants to get out of his team in the upcoming season is, at the least, a much better power play.
Carolina’s power play was 28th in the NHL last season as they converted on 14.6 percent of their opportunities. One big reason for that was the inability to get team captain Eric Staal going with the man-advantage.
Staal had one power play goal last season and Peters said he needs to improve that for him because it’s “unacceptable” and the situation has to be remedied immediately. Tough to argue with that.
One way to fix that is to load up the first unit with the best players. Peters said the power play could have Staal, Jeff Skinner, and Elias Lindholm up front with Alexander Semin on the right point with either Justin Faulk or Ryan Murphy on the other side. With Semin blasting away and the forwards swarming the net, that might just work out.
As for Skinner, he wants to get him to be a 40-goal scorer and a plus-player. Say what you will about plus-minus as a stat, but Skinner is a minus-40 in 259 career games and was a minus-14 last season – an improvement over his minus-21 during the lockout-shortened 2013 season.
If the Hurricanes can get these issues fixed, they’ll be difficult to defend in the Metropolitan Division. Scoring on them, however, could still wind up being a problem for Peters to remedy.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 PM EDT
The Mike Gillis era is just a memory now.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)