Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Doesn’t sound like last year’s difficult campaign has soured Marc Methot on Ottawa, or vice versa.
Per the Ottawa Sun, Methot is set to sign a multi-year extension with the Sens and could have it done soon. Here’s more:
Methot said talks between Dorion and Ottawa-based lawyer Larry Kelly started Monday, however, they have gotten more serious in the last 24 hours.
“We’ll see what happens,” said Methot, who was on hand downtown. “I know one thing: I want to be here. I made that clear throughout the season.
“But this is my first time really being in this position. In the past, I had restricted free agency. Now, with unrestricted free agency just around the corner, it changes the dynamic. I’d like to stay here but there’s only so much I can do. It’s up to my agent to get something done.”
Methot said he’d like to have “something done before the start of the season.”
“With Methot, it’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,” said Dorion. “We’re not talking a one-year extension. It’s going to be multi-year.”
Methot, 29, looked to be poised for a big year last season after he made the Canadian Olympic orientation camp in August, one of just 17 NHL defensemen invited. That invite came on the heels of an impressive lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, when he scored 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night, carrying an extra workload while Erik Karlsson was out with a lacerated Achilles.
But nothing seemed to go right for Methot in ’13-14.
He struggled at times and, despite scoring a career-high six goals and 23 assists, was made a healthy scratch on a couple of occasions. Ottawa also missed the postseason for the first time since 2011, allowing Methot to play for Canada at the Worlds, but even that went wrong — he suffered a back injury during mini-camp and was ruled out of the tournament, preventing him from representing his country for the third time internationally.
It’ll be interesting to see how his extension in Ottawa plays out. While he’s said he wants to stay, the lure of unrestricted free agency could be too much, especially on the heels of a summer where the likes of Brooks Orpik ($22.5 million) and Matt Niskanen ($40.25 million) really cashed in.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)