Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EST
Doesn’t sound like last year’s difficult campaign has soured Marc Methot on Ottawa, or vice versa.
Per the Ottawa Sun, Methot is set to sign a multi-year extension with the Sens and could have it done soon. Here’s more:
Methot said talks between Dorion and Ottawa-based lawyer Larry Kelly started Monday, however, they have gotten more serious in the last 24 hours.
“We’ll see what happens,” said Methot, who was on hand downtown. “I know one thing: I want to be here. I made that clear throughout the season.
“But this is my first time really being in this position. In the past, I had restricted free agency. Now, with unrestricted free agency just around the corner, it changes the dynamic. I’d like to stay here but there’s only so much I can do. It’s up to my agent to get something done.”
Methot said he’d like to have “something done before the start of the season.”
“With Methot, it’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,” said Dorion. “We’re not talking a one-year extension. It’s going to be multi-year.”
Methot, 29, looked to be poised for a big year last season after he made the Canadian Olympic orientation camp in August, one of just 17 NHL defensemen invited. That invite came on the heels of an impressive lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, when he scored 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night, carrying an extra workload while Erik Karlsson was out with a lacerated Achilles.
But nothing seemed to go right for Methot in ’13-14.
He struggled at times and, despite scoring a career-high six goals and 23 assists, was made a healthy scratch on a couple of occasions. Ottawa also missed the postseason for the first time since 2011, allowing Methot to play for Canada at the Worlds, but even that went wrong — he suffered a back injury during mini-camp and was ruled out of the tournament, preventing him from representing his country for the third time internationally.
It’ll be interesting to see how his extension in Ottawa plays out. While he’s said he wants to stay, the lure of unrestricted free agency could be too much, especially on the heels of a summer where the likes of Brooks Orpik ($22.5 million) and Matt Niskanen ($40.25 million) really cashed in.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Sunday’s starting goalies.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
He set up Tyler Seguin’s breakaway goal.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
His twin Henrik will play his 1,031st.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)