Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EST
Doesn’t sound like last year’s difficult campaign has soured Marc Methot on Ottawa, or vice versa.
Per the Ottawa Sun, Methot is set to sign a multi-year extension with the Sens and could have it done soon. Here’s more:
Methot said talks between Dorion and Ottawa-based lawyer Larry Kelly started Monday, however, they have gotten more serious in the last 24 hours.
“We’ll see what happens,” said Methot, who was on hand downtown. “I know one thing: I want to be here. I made that clear throughout the season.
“But this is my first time really being in this position. In the past, I had restricted free agency. Now, with unrestricted free agency just around the corner, it changes the dynamic. I’d like to stay here but there’s only so much I can do. It’s up to my agent to get something done.”
Methot said he’d like to have “something done before the start of the season.”
“With Methot, it’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,” said Dorion. “We’re not talking a one-year extension. It’s going to be multi-year.”
Methot, 29, looked to be poised for a big year last season after he made the Canadian Olympic orientation camp in August, one of just 17 NHL defensemen invited. That invite came on the heels of an impressive lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, when he scored 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night, carrying an extra workload while Erik Karlsson was out with a lacerated Achilles.
But nothing seemed to go right for Methot in ’13-14.
He struggled at times and, despite scoring a career-high six goals and 23 assists, was made a healthy scratch on a couple of occasions. Ottawa also missed the postseason for the first time since 2011, allowing Methot to play for Canada at the Worlds, but even that went wrong — he suffered a back injury during mini-camp and was ruled out of the tournament, preventing him from representing his country for the third time internationally.
It’ll be interesting to see how his extension in Ottawa plays out. While he’s said he wants to stay, the lure of unrestricted free agency could be too much, especially on the heels of a summer where the likes of Brooks Orpik ($22.5 million) and Matt Niskanen ($40.25 million) really cashed in.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Get back into the swing of things.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
“I’m still a little ways away. Hopefully I keep making the right strides.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Update: Moving him might not be such a bad thing, really.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 50
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)