Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EST
Doesn’t sound like last year’s difficult campaign has soured Marc Methot on Ottawa, or vice versa.
Per the Ottawa Sun, Methot is set to sign a multi-year extension with the Sens and could have it done soon. Here’s more:
Methot said talks between Dorion and Ottawa-based lawyer Larry Kelly started Monday, however, they have gotten more serious in the last 24 hours.
“We’ll see what happens,” said Methot, who was on hand downtown. “I know one thing: I want to be here. I made that clear throughout the season.
“But this is my first time really being in this position. In the past, I had restricted free agency. Now, with unrestricted free agency just around the corner, it changes the dynamic. I’d like to stay here but there’s only so much I can do. It’s up to my agent to get something done.”
Methot said he’d like to have “something done before the start of the season.”
“With Methot, it’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,” said Dorion. “We’re not talking a one-year extension. It’s going to be multi-year.”
Methot, 29, looked to be poised for a big year last season after he made the Canadian Olympic orientation camp in August, one of just 17 NHL defensemen invited. That invite came on the heels of an impressive lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, when he scored 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night, carrying an extra workload while Erik Karlsson was out with a lacerated Achilles.
But nothing seemed to go right for Methot in ’13-14.
He struggled at times and, despite scoring a career-high six goals and 23 assists, was made a healthy scratch on a couple of occasions. Ottawa also missed the postseason for the first time since 2011, allowing Methot to play for Canada at the Worlds, but even that went wrong — he suffered a back injury during mini-camp and was ruled out of the tournament, preventing him from representing his country for the third time internationally.
It’ll be interesting to see how his extension in Ottawa plays out. While he’s said he wants to stay, the lure of unrestricted free agency could be too much, especially on the heels of a summer where the likes of Brooks Orpik ($22.5 million) and Matt Niskanen ($40.25 million) really cashed in.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)