Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Flames were in no rush to sign Sam Bennett, but that didn’t stop them from agreeing to terms with plenty of time to spare before training camp. Calgary announced today that Bennett has inked a three-year, entry-level contract.
Bennett was selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s viewed as a highly skilled, well-rounded center. He stood out during the Flames’ prospect camp and had 36 goals, 91 points, and 118 penalty minutes in 57 OHL games last season.
He’ll enter the Flames’ training camp with a shot of making the team, although it will be tough for him given that he’s competing with fellow centers Sean Monahan, Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart.
Regardless of whether he plays for Calgary or in the OHL next season, he’s seen as an important part of the Flames’ core of young forwards as they work towards turning the franchise around after missing the playoffs for five straight seasons.
Jun 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
His one-year contract is set to expire next month.
Jun 2, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
He was set to become an unrestricted free agent next month.
Jun 2, 2015, 5:08 PM EDT
“You need young players to succeed in this day and age.”
Jun 2, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
“It’s nice to score a goal every once in a while.”
Jun 2, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the veteran forward reminisced about his 10 years in Chicago.
Jun 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
He was a rookie in 2000 when his Stars lost to the Devils.
Jun 2, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Anaheim has the cap space to make that happen.
Jun 2, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
“You’ve got to take care of the time you have in front of you.”
Jun 2, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
He also might enter the season on the hot seat.
Jun 2, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
“We let them hang around too long, and they bit us.”
Jun 2, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Still, he doesn’t think much of the idea of making the nets smaller.
Jun 2, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Stanley Cup media got off to a rather complimentary start.
Jun 2, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Ray Shero also outlined the team’s philosophy going forward.
Jun 2, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT
But is there room in Vancouver?
Jun 2, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
There will also be a charitable donation.
Jun 2, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Pierre McGuire and Dan Patrick discuss.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Only one more day until Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
The Penguins hope to know more about Dupuis’ chances of returning soon.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT
Played in one game for Winnipeg last season.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:59 AM EDT
He needs time to think about his future.
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 1
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 22
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 16
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 7
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 5
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (73)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)