Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Flames were in no rush to sign Sam Bennett, but that didn’t stop them from agreeing to terms with plenty of time to spare before training camp. Calgary announced today that Bennett has inked a three-year, entry-level contract.
Bennett was selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s viewed as a highly skilled, well-rounded center. He stood out during the Flames’ prospect camp and had 36 goals, 91 points, and 118 penalty minutes in 57 OHL games last season.
He’ll enter the Flames’ training camp with a shot of making the team, although it will be tough for him given that he’s competing with fellow centers Sean Monahan, Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart.
Regardless of whether he plays for Calgary or in the OHL next season, he’s seen as an important part of the Flames’ core of young forwards as they work towards turning the franchise around after missing the playoffs for five straight seasons.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)