Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
The Flames were in no rush to sign Sam Bennett, but that didn’t stop them from agreeing to terms with plenty of time to spare before training camp. Calgary announced today that Bennett has inked a three-year, entry-level contract.
Bennett was selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s viewed as a highly skilled, well-rounded center. He stood out during the Flames’ prospect camp and had 36 goals, 91 points, and 118 penalty minutes in 57 OHL games last season.
He’ll enter the Flames’ training camp with a shot of making the team, although it will be tough for him given that he’s competing with fellow centers Sean Monahan, Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart.
Regardless of whether he plays for Calgary or in the OHL next season, he’s seen as an important part of the Flames’ core of young forwards as they work towards turning the franchise around after missing the playoffs for five straight seasons.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)