Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Flames were in no rush to sign Sam Bennett, but that didn’t stop them from agreeing to terms with plenty of time to spare before training camp. Calgary announced today that Bennett has inked a three-year, entry-level contract.
Bennett was selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s viewed as a highly skilled, well-rounded center. He stood out during the Flames’ prospect camp and had 36 goals, 91 points, and 118 penalty minutes in 57 OHL games last season.
He’ll enter the Flames’ training camp with a shot of making the team, although it will be tough for him given that he’s competing with fellow centers Sean Monahan, Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart.
Regardless of whether he plays for Calgary or in the OHL next season, he’s seen as an important part of the Flames’ core of young forwards as they work towards turning the franchise around after missing the playoffs for five straight seasons.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)