Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The Flames were in no rush to sign Sam Bennett, but that didn’t stop them from agreeing to terms with plenty of time to spare before training camp. Calgary announced today that Bennett has inked a three-year, entry-level contract.
Bennett was selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s viewed as a highly skilled, well-rounded center. He stood out during the Flames’ prospect camp and had 36 goals, 91 points, and 118 penalty minutes in 57 OHL games last season.
He’ll enter the Flames’ training camp with a shot of making the team, although it will be tough for him given that he’s competing with fellow centers Sean Monahan, Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, Lance Bouma and Max Reinhart.
Regardless of whether he plays for Calgary or in the OHL next season, he’s seen as an important part of the Flames’ core of young forwards as they work towards turning the franchise around after missing the playoffs for five straight seasons.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)