Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Nicolas Deschamps has decided to sign a one-year contract with the Finnish league’s Oulu Karpat, per the league’s website.
Originally taken in the second round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Deschamps had 20 goals and 40 points in 65 games with the AHL Hershey Bears in 2013-14. He also got his first taste of NHL action last season as he appeared in three games with the Washington Capitals.
Deschamps completed a one-year, two-way contract that was worth $726,000 at the NHL level. Washington decided against presenting the 24-year-old forward with a qualifying offer and he was consequently an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Meanwhile, the Capitals are negotiating with their only remaining restricted free agent, Cameron Schilling. The talks are progressing, but nothing’s imminent, according to the Washington Post.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 54
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)