Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Nicolas Deschamps has decided to sign a one-year contract with the Finnish league’s Oulu Karpat, per the league’s website.
Originally taken in the second round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Deschamps had 20 goals and 40 points in 65 games with the AHL Hershey Bears in 2013-14. He also got his first taste of NHL action last season as he appeared in three games with the Washington Capitals.
Deschamps completed a one-year, two-way contract that was worth $726,000 at the NHL level. Washington decided against presenting the 24-year-old forward with a qualifying offer and he was consequently an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Meanwhile, the Capitals are negotiating with their only remaining restricted free agent, Cameron Schilling. The talks are progressing, but nothing’s imminent, according to the Washington Post.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)