Jul 24, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
After being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Jared McCann has signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Vancouver Canucks, per the club’s announcement.
Along with forward Nick Bonino and defenseman Luca Sbisa, McCann was one of the two picks the Canucks got from Anaheim in the Ryan Kesler trade. The Canucks also received the 85th overall selection in the 2014 draft and they traded it to the New York Rangers to acquire Derek Dorsett.
McCann is a two-way center that recorded 27 goals, 35 assists, and 51 penalty minutes in 64 OHL games with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in 2013-14. Although it’s unfair at this stage to suggest the 18-year-old forward will eventually replace Kesler, it is worth noting that McCann has cited Kesler as one of his influences.
“Kesler is a complete player, amazing offensively and defensively,” McCann told the Vancouver Sun. “He can score but he can be put in those key situations when time is ticking down, or anything like that. Those are definitely some big shoes to fill, for sure, and I need to improve both offensively and defensively. I feel I can make those strides to become better.”
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)