Jul 24, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
After being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Jared McCann has signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Vancouver Canucks, per the club’s announcement.
Along with forward Nick Bonino and defenseman Luca Sbisa, McCann was one of the two picks the Canucks got from Anaheim in the Ryan Kesler trade. The Canucks also received the 85th overall selection in the 2014 draft and they traded it to the New York Rangers to acquire Derek Dorsett.
McCann is a two-way center that recorded 27 goals, 35 assists, and 51 penalty minutes in 64 OHL games with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in 2013-14. Although it’s unfair at this stage to suggest the 18-year-old forward will eventually replace Kesler, it is worth noting that McCann has cited Kesler as one of his influences.
“Kesler is a complete player, amazing offensively and defensively,” McCann told the Vancouver Sun. “He can score but he can be put in those key situations when time is ticking down, or anything like that. Those are definitely some big shoes to fill, for sure, and I need to improve both offensively and defensively. I feel I can make those strides to become better.”
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)