Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Up against the cap, the Boston Bruins lost unrestricted free agent Jarome Iginla to the Colorado Avalanche over the summer. Watching a 30-goal scorer walk away is tough, but Bruins coach Claude Julien doesn’t seem too concerned.
“We lost Jarome, but I think Loui Eriksson is a player that can be even better than he was last year,” Julien told NHL.com. “I think we started seeing that at the end of the year and he could be a replacement for Jarome.”
After being acquired last summer as part of the Tyler Seguin deal, Eriksson had just 10 goals and 37 points in 61 games in 2013-14. However, he also suffered two concussions, which contributed to his campaign being derailed.
If Eriksson is able to mesh with Milan Lucic and David Krejci on the Bruins’ top line, then Patrice Bergeron, Reilly Smith, and Brad Marchand might round out the top six. Chris Kelly (back) missed the playoffs, but he’s expected to be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign and should play on the third line with Carl Soderberg.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)