Jul 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Kevin Poulin is back for another tour with the Islanders.
The 24-year-old goalie, who’s appeared in 49 games for New York over the last four seasons, avoided arbitration on Thursday by agreeing to a one-year, two-way deal for 2014-15. Per Sportsnet, the contact will pay $650,000 at the NHL level and $175,000 at the AHL level.
How much time Poulin sees at the NHL level next year remains to be seen.
The Isles overhauled their goalie situation this offseason, acquiring then signing Jaroslav Halak before going out and inking former Boston backup Chad Johnson to be their No. 2. That would, presumably, leave Poulin as the odd-man out, but he’s shown remarkable resiliency during his time in New York to keep finding ways to get games (granted, that often meant being around when someone else got hurt.)
Last season Poulin set career highs in appearances (28) while going 11-16-1, though it’s hard to imagine he’ll see an equal workload this year with Halak and Johnson in the fold.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 14
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)