Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EST
After completing his first full AHL campaign, Phillip Danault has gotten very specific instructions from Rockford IceHogs coach Ted Dent and Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman.
The Blackhawks took him with the 26th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft after they acquired the pick from Washington in exchange for Troy Brouwer. Danault is one of the 10 first rounders from that class that hasn’t reached the NHL level yet.
Although Danault excelled offensively at the junior level, by asking him to be more like Kruger the Blackhawks are making it clear that they see him being more of a shutdown role at the NHL level. He’s already begun to adapt to that style of play in the minors.
“(Danault) embraces that role,” Dent said. “Everyone loves to score goals. But the guys that defend well and keep the puck out of our net are just as important. They just don’t get the recognition.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)