Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EST
After completing his first full AHL campaign, Phillip Danault has gotten very specific instructions from Rockford IceHogs coach Ted Dent and Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman.
The Blackhawks took him with the 26th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft after they acquired the pick from Washington in exchange for Troy Brouwer. Danault is one of the 10 first rounders from that class that hasn’t reached the NHL level yet.
Although Danault excelled offensively at the junior level, by asking him to be more like Kruger the Blackhawks are making it clear that they see him being more of a shutdown role at the NHL level. He’s already begun to adapt to that style of play in the minors.
“(Danault) embraces that role,” Dent said. “Everyone loves to score goals. But the guys that defend well and keep the puck out of our net are just as important. They just don’t get the recognition.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)