Jul 24, 2014, 5:53 PM EST
The Calgary Flames announced today that goaltender Joni Ortio has agreed to a two-year, contract extension.
Ortio had a 2.33 GAA and .926 save percentage in AHL Abbotsford and 2.51 GAA and .891 save percentage in nine starts with Calgary in 2013-14. Prior to that, he spent two seasons in the Finnish league and posted a 2.42 GAA and .917 save percentage in 54 contests with HIFK Helsinki in 2012-13.
He’s still just 23 years old and has the potential to make it in the NHL, but he will probably spend most, if not all of the 2014-15 campaign in the minors. That’s because the Flames signed Jonas Hiller to a two-year, $9 million contract on July 1.
Hiller is penciled in as the team’s starter, although Karri Ramo, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, will battle him for playing time.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)