Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Lars Eller and the Montreal Canadiens were able to avoid arbitration by agreeing to a four-year contract extension. Although Montreal didn’t disclose the financial terms of the deal, the contract is worth $14 million, according to TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie.
“We are very pleased to have agreed upon a long term agreement with Lars Eller … He is the type of player you can rely on for his play at both ends of the rink. Lars can play big minutes against the opponents’ top players and still be an offensive threat,” Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said, per the team’s website.
Eller had 12 goals and 26 points in 77 games last season, but Bergevin thinks the 25-year-old forward still has untapped upside. He gave Montreal a taste of that during the lockout shortened 2013 season when he recorded 30 points in 46 contests.
He’s coming off of a two-year, $2.65 million contract and was seeking a big raise through arbitration. He had reportedly requested a $3.1 million salary for the 2014-15 campaign while Montreal had countered with $1.65 million. In the end, it seems that big gap was overcome by shifting the focus to a longer term deal.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 3
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)