Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
David Booth’s tenure with the Vancouver Canucks was rocky, to put it mildly. The former 30-goal scorer finished the 2013-14 campaign with just 19 points in 66 contests. That’s over now though as he’ll have a fresh opportunity with Toronto after signing a one-year, $1.1 million contract.
“It’s been a little bit tougher the past couple years, with some injuries, setbacks that I’ve had,” Booth said, per NHL.com. “I’ve stayed positive through them all. … I thought I was playing some good hockey there toward the end of the year … and I’ve had a great summer of training, been healthy, and really excited to get a start here in Toronto.”
He feels that he did end the 2013-14 campaign on a high note — he recorded six points in his last 10 games — and he hopes that carries over to training camp. It will be important for him to hit the ground running given that he’ll have to fight for playing time. Unless they make a trade, the Maple Leafs will enter the preseason with 17 forwards inked to one-way contracts.
“I think if I can stay healthy and [work hard], it will show in my game,” Booth said. “I’ll be able to prove that I can play in this league again.”
This isn’t the first time the Maple Leafs have rolled the dice on a struggling former Canucks forward. They also took on Mason Raymond last summer and he rewarded them with a 19-goal, 45-point campaign. Toronto and Booth are hoping history will repeat itself.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)