Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EST
David Booth’s tenure with the Vancouver Canucks was rocky, to put it mildly. The former 30-goal scorer finished the 2013-14 campaign with just 19 points in 66 contests. That’s over now though as he’ll have a fresh opportunity with Toronto after signing a one-year, $1.1 million contract.
“It’s been a little bit tougher the past couple years, with some injuries, setbacks that I’ve had,” Booth said, per NHL.com. “I’ve stayed positive through them all. … I thought I was playing some good hockey there toward the end of the year … and I’ve had a great summer of training, been healthy, and really excited to get a start here in Toronto.”
He feels that he did end the 2013-14 campaign on a high note — he recorded six points in his last 10 games — and he hopes that carries over to training camp. It will be important for him to hit the ground running given that he’ll have to fight for playing time. Unless they make a trade, the Maple Leafs will enter the preseason with 17 forwards inked to one-way contracts.
“I think if I can stay healthy and [work hard], it will show in my game,” Booth said. “I’ll be able to prove that I can play in this league again.”
This isn’t the first time the Maple Leafs have rolled the dice on a struggling former Canucks forward. They also took on Mason Raymond last summer and he rewarded them with a 19-goal, 45-point campaign. Toronto and Booth are hoping history will repeat itself.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)